Mountaintop DXing

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W5VE, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5VE

W5VE Ham Member QRZ Page

Beautiful Fall day Monday here in the high hills of Western North Carolina. Drove up to Waterrock Knob, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway west of Waynesville NC. Parking lot’s at 5820 elevation. Worked both through repeaters and simplex on 2 meters, 220, and 440. Lots of contacts. Great place for VHF and UHF. See a photo slide show below.

http://www.w5ve.com/?p=244

Last night on the Monday W4MOE net on the Spivey Mtn 2 mtr repeater, K2JB was bragging (and rightly so, impressive accomplishments) about all the mountains he'd activated for SOTA. So I came on and announced the foundation of SODA (Summits Offering Drinks Always). With 10 points extra if you bought coffee or a soda at the concession stand.

The only official peaks I have for SODA so far (must have paved parking and a concession stand/convenience store somewhere within a reasonable distance of the top, that's flexible) are Mitchell (highest point in Eastern America), Pisgah, and Waterrock Knob. I'm sure there are others and part of the joy of amateur radio lies in finding and working these rare locations. If I remember rightly (been awhile) Clingman's Dome qualifies. Will have to activate it.

I had some surprisingly good coffee at Waterrock Knob for the extra 10 points.

73, W5VE

2. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

You should bag clingmans dome today. The weather is supposed to turn horrible tomorrow.

I'm stuck at work. How can I chase SODA activations? Can I just pour a cup of coffee in the break are, and salute your general direction?

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I founded SOTE, which is close.

It's "Summits Over The Edge," and to qualify you have to be atop a mountain and then drive or fall over the edge, crash into the valley or canyon below, and still be able to call SOS.

Not many have qualified.:(

4. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

how many points is that worth? i'm thinking eleventy-billion approximately.

i went over a cliff on a motorcycle earlier in the year and crashed into the valley below. i didn't need to call SOS, but i could have (once i came-to, and stopped vomiting, and dislodged myself from between two trees.). i wouldn't wish those points on anyone.

5. W5VE

W5VE Ham Member QRZ Page

that would work. ;-)

--Ralph

6. W5VE

W5VE Ham Member QRZ Page

ummm... that would qualify for something or the other for sure, eh?

--Ralph

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pike's Peak has a nice refreshment stand/store at the top. I got on 146.52 from there and worked Wyoming, Texas, and the western edge of Colorado in fairly short order. I had to let somebody else drive down from the 14,000 foot summit, though - the altitude got to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.