ad: GNOHF-1

Mount antenna on HOOD of truck?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KD9MLU, Apr 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Almost all my Larson NMO 5/8 wave antennas the years have springs on them for that very reason.

2. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Even with a spring there's not more than 21" of clearance. That's not enough. Even a 1/4 wave hits the rafters as it comes in!:oops:

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just helped a GI do exactly that, and he was very gratified with the results.

4. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you do it? Sure, lots of us have.

5. KI5BTA

KI5BTA Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don’t have a bed cover you can use a bed corner or stake hole mount.

6. DF7NT

DF7NT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently installed a vhf/uhf radio in my F-150 and did lots of research.
    I decided against the hood mount for two reasons.
    First reason is the concern about engine noise and the second reason is the plan to add a Tarheel antenna in the near future.
    I have a tonneau cover on the bed to keep the load dry during the Pacific Northwet winter season.
    I came up with a homemade solution. I took a short video for friends who were interested in my installation. Maybe it is an alternative for you.

Here the link to the video:

73, de AC7FD

7. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Real Hams Drill Holes!!!!

8. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not in the leased company truck I don't.

9. KD9MLU

KD9MLU Ham Member QRZ Page

This video is helpful and I liked the antenna install through the tonneau cover. I have a cover on the bed of my truck and I think I can make something like that work. Thanks for the video.

10. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't mind installing things in my vehicles, but have to be 'talked into' doing that installing on other people's stuff. I do make mistakes (occasionally) and just don't want to take that chance, you know? I can also be bribed quite easily (food/beer)! So don't mind -helping- others do it.