Mount antenna on HOOD of truck?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KD9MLU, Apr 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KD9MLU

KD9MLU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a new Ham and have a question. I want to pair a DIAMOND CR-8900A antenna (recommended by Ham Radio Outlet) with a Yaesu FT-8900 mobile. Specs say don’t use magnet, but use trunk lid mount. Can an antenna be mounted on the HOOD of my Ranger truck on the passenger side since I don’t have a trunk? Are there other options I have? No experience with amateur radio yet...

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Certainly.

3. KJ4VZJ

KJ4VZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to run an FT-8900 on my F-150 before I put in m FT-857. I have a Comet B-10 on an NMO mount on the inside of my hood on the driver's side. I have a picture on my QRZ.com profile page. I didn't want it on the passenger side because the AM/FM radio antenna was already on that side. Except for automated car washes (which I avoid), I've had very few issues and no problems with visibility. I did have to be concerned with the metal contact on the aluminum body. The antenna mount has a bit of clear plastic on it to keep it from touching the body. I used a stainless steel washer and then sealed it with 100% silicone to minimize galvanization.
    Not certain if this was my mount but it was very similar - Comet Antenna FOANTPF fender bracket mount for Ford Trucks.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, you can, that's where I currently have a dual band antenna on my F350.

Two suggestions -

First, unless there is some other overriding consideration, I think it's best to install on the driver's side as there is less chance of snagging a passing branch.

Second, use a mounting bracket that screws to the inside of the fender (in the engine compartment) and sticks up through the seam between the hood and fender. That way it's secure and there's no set screw marks on your hood.

5. KD9MLU

KD9MLU Ham Member QRZ Page

This information is very helpful. I feel like I know just what to do to set up my mobile unit. Now I need to read about connecting to the power supply and mounting the unit in the truck. I do enjoy learning new techniques and hobbies. Thanks everyone.

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

An outstanding resource for how to do mobile installations is www.k0bg.com. Check it out.

K9CPO likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The middle of the roof would be better.

The truck will be more directional if mounted on the hood.

But it will work.

N5RFX and WA7PRC like this.
  8. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly the best way if possible. The truck cab presents an obstacle for the antenna and *can* make it directional. There is also a potential for engine noise if the engine module is mounted in that right side fender. I also don't like the idea of the occupants being exposed too closely to RF, tho it is intermittent and low power (?). But, yes, the antenna will work on the front fender; its just not ideal, IMHO.

9. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Diamond

Diamond says the CR-8900 is designed to be mounted on the trunk edge. It will work on the hood of a truck. It will not last long on the roof. Too tall, hits everything.

10. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, we do what we have to do WRT physical size, location, and other restrictions.:) I, for example, run a 1/4 wave dual band for one radio, a 1/4 wave whip for another commercial rig. I would rather have a 5/8 wave for both, but I can't. I can't get under my carport with those, hence the 1/4's on the roof. I destroyed one 5/8 wavelength that way. For awhile I would simply "flip" the whip forwards so when I backed out, the antenna(s) wouldn't snag. It worked for awhile, but then fatigue took over and !CRACK!, one coil shattered.:( So with the 1/4's on the roof luggage rack, I can get under the 'port without snagging, and it has a better pattern, but with a bit of a sacrifice in performance. We 'duz' what we has to 'duz', eh?;)