ad: UR5CDX-1

Motorola surplus back in the 70's

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W8NGA, Nov 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W8NGA

W8NGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the 70's when the 2 meter rage was just starting, I used to receive a paper from a company in Chicago that dealt in used Motorola and GE business radios. I believe their name was Spectronics but I am not sure. Could someone confirm this or set me straight. I cannot find any mention of them on the internet so I assume that they are no longer in business. It really isn't important but its just one of those things that I have been racking my brain trying to remember.

Thanks, Greg W8NGA

2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes it was Spectronics I have been to their shop, Stacks of old radios! They sold antennas, Rohn towers, tone boards and coax also.
    there was a place in LA that had a ton of radios too

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Spectronics in the Chicago area, Gregory in New York, among others.

Down here in Texas, Motorola "proper" had "ham sales" every 3-months out of building that I owned in Plano, Texas (Dallas suburb). Of course, only older Motorola equipment was sold plus accessories, used antennas, used Heliax, used towers, and so forth. An operator had to show his / her amateur radio operator's license and sign a document stating that the equipment would be used only for amateur radio operation and that it would not be returned to commercial use. Operators could purchase equipment for others. However, a notarized statement agreeing to the same non commercial use plus authorization to purchase equipment in their behalf was required. This was during much of the almost 10-years that I owned the Motorola reconditioned equipment center for the south-central United States.

Glen, K9STH

K0UO likes this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Was it the Motorola facility off of Beltline Drive

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Area Office was on Beltline over in Carrollton, Texas, on the north side of Dallas. My operation was in Plano, Texas, about 5-feet north of the Richardson city limits. The sales site was about a mile farther north on the north side of old downtown Plano.

Glen, K9STH

K0UO likes this.
  6. W8NGA

W8NGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks guys for the confirming that it was Spectronics. When their catalog came in the mail, I could only dream of having one of those old radios that I couldn't afford as a kid. Got started with surplus radios when someone gave me an old GE prog line. After that, I bought on old Dumont low band radio at a Hamfest that I had crystaled up on 52.525. After that, I moved up to a Motrac on 6 meters. I still run the big M radios but have gotten away from the crystal models.

Thanks again everyone,
    Greg W8NGA