MOTOROLA Motorola HMN1050D MIKE - Can It Be Used For Ham Use ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5FRH, Jan 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K5FRH

K5FRH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have always like 'the "space age" look of this mike and would like to know if it can be adapted for ham use. I cant find any technical info on it, but I seem to remember that it had a preamp circuit built into it - similar to the Turner +2. I installed many of these in the late 70's/early 80's when I was a Motorola tech.

Also, any thoughts on its companion, the HMN1001 Hand Mike. These hand mikes were durable - had to be - they were the default mike in police, fire,etc. mobile installs and took much abuse.

Attached Files:

2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Repeater builder . com website has nothing on these?

If you can ohm-out the two wires coming off the mic element to the cable, the next step is to treat it like an old carbon-mic element.

3. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

The desk mike may have an amplified electret element. I had an EF Johnson mike (probably rebadged) that was that way.

5. K5FRH

Thanks

6. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Used to be Motorola "knowledge" was just over-flowing in the ham community. I guess that has changed. Unfortunately, I don't have IP addresses assigned to my "paper" Moto manuals, therefore no one can "FTP" into them ...

An example Motorola MICOR series microphone - includes schematic:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/micor/pdf/tmn6054a-microphone.pdf

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  7. K5FRH

Thanks. I remember that the Motorola desk and hand mikes had good audio in commercial use, so I am going to try a few in ham use. Glad to see I was wrong about the built-in preamps.

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The referenced Motorola microphones are "carbon compatible". That is, they are very low impedance (less than 20-ohms) and are not directly compatible with "modern" 600-ohm microphone circuits and definitely not directly compatible with the old high impedance circuits. They were designed to replace the old carbon type microphones that were used in the "goode olde dayes".

When the low band Mocom 10 units went from the Astatic high impedance microphones to the much better "sounding" carbon compatible microphones, Motorola came out with a very simple circuit that consisted of 1, maybe 2, (I need to dig out a Mocom 10 manual to be sure) capacitors and a couple of resistors to allow the newer microphones to be used with the older versions.

I should have, in over 1000-commercial two-way radio manuals that are stored in several places around my house, the technical sheets on both microphones. Just need to find the time to locate the information.

Glen, K9STH

9. K5FRH

Thanks.

10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I used one of the Motorola hand mikes on my Icom 725. The mike plug had to be re-wired.