Motorola HMN 1056D On TS-440S

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WX4SAR, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WX4SAR

WX4SAR Banned QRZ Page

Does anyone know how to wire a Motorola HMN 1056D mic for a Kenwood TS-440S? The reason I ask is that I have a 1056D with a broken plug just sitting around and would like to use the mic on something.

2. AF7CE

AF7CE Guest

http://www.batlabs.com/images/maxrad.gif This link is for the mic pinout of a Motorola Maxtrac for which the HMN1056 is a direct plug-in. You should be able to figure out the wiring to get the mic to work on your TS-440. If not, shoot me an email and I can help you with it. I use a few HMN1056s on my gear, they are great mics.

3. WX4SAR

WX4SAR Banned QRZ Page

I looked at the diagram but i'm not sure what to make of it.My 1056D has 6 wires in it, looking at the connector from the top where the little plastic bar would be (mine broke off) from left to right there are two empty spaces then a blue wire then black,red,green,yellow and white at the end.

4. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Since yours still has the (apparently broken) RJ45 plug on it, you can find the colour of each wire before cutting the plug off. I don't have any of my 1056 mics handy to look at right now but with the clip on top as you describe holding it, #1 being at the left, the three wires you need are 4 - ground, 5 - mic audio and 6 - PTT. The ground is common to the PTT and mic audio while the 440 has a separate ground pin in the mic connector for each. They are connected together in the radio so it should work just fine.

The only problem you may have, and I don't remember as I haven't had a 440 in nearly 20 years, is there may not be any bias voltage on the mic audio line for the 1056. Motorola mics used to be carbon elements and as such the audio line had a DC bias voltage for them. When the switch was made to more modern mic designs back in the 60's, backward compatibility was maintained and as such the mobile Motorola mics still require that voltage on the audio line. (The HT mics do not.)

Motorola mics work fine as plug-in replacements on older generation Icom rigs for this reason, but may not on your Kenwood. There's one sure way to find out though . . . Good luck.

5. WX4SAR

WX4SAR Banned QRZ Page

so all i need to solder to a connector are 3 wires for ground, mic audio and ptt?

I found the TS-440s mic wiring info.
    pin 1 mic
    pin 2 ptt
    pin 3 down
    pin 4 up
    pin 5 +8 volt (some models)
    pin 6 N/C (some models)
    pin 7 mic ground
    pin 8 ground (stand by)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  6. AF7CE

AF7CE Guest

pin 1 mic to red on mic
    pin 2 ptt to green on mic
    pin 3 down nc
    pin 4 up nc
    pin 5 +8 volt (some models) nc
    pin 6 N/C (some models) nc
    pin 7 mic ground to black on mic
    pin 8 ground (stand by) may need to tie this to mic ground for ptt

The color code for Motorola mics is the same over a large group mics, if you wire it as shown above it should work fine.

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

the Motorola mic requires bias voltage on the audio high line to make it work.

8. WX4SAR

WX4SAR Banned QRZ Page

Alright I'll try it and see if it works. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.