MOTOROLA HF SSB VINTAGE RADIO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K8MOT, Aug 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Useless?
    Not a good squelch circuit...

K3XR likes this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Use a dedicated JRC JST-135 as a 60 meter rig it has both squelch and scan so that the 5 channels on 60 can be scanned with the squelch on it's nice not to listen to the receiver going constantly in the absence of a signal.

AF6LJ likes this.
  3. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Dan,

Motorola built their own crystals, TCXOs, High Stability Oscillators for all of their equipment. One day in 2002, Motorola brought all of their employees in the Crystal Department and Wine & Dine them with Filet Megon & Lobster Tails, whew I was jealous and the very next day Motorola Laid that entire department off lock, stock & barrel. What a company! Talk about not having any ethics!

Dan
    WA9WVX

K3XR likes this.
  4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You may know about the phrase "Have a Motorola Christmas" in the seventies and eighties they were known for laying off employees before Christmas.

K4PIH and K3XR like this.
  5. WA9WVX

Hello Ash,

Think about when you switch to FM on 2 m and you have a constant noise coming from the speaker, you adjust the Squelch control so you don't hear that background noise. Well the MICOM HF transceiver have a similar noise heard coming through their speaker and the Commercial customers don't like hearing that background noise. Motorola's Engineering Team develop a circuit to eliminate the background noise and it's a SSB SINAD Squelch that incorporates the adequate delay time for SSB audio. When this circuit detect a constant tone on frequency or CW, it opens up for a few seconds and then Squelches the receiver audio from being heard. In the Commercial market the operator doesn't do CW while driving around.

Dan
    WA9WVX

6. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dan,

The last time I looked into JAN Crystals, I found a single web page with no info other than a "contact us" email address. As I didn't need anything that day, I didn't follow up, so I don't know if that is an orphan page or if they're actually still around (I hope they are)

I remember Bomar from my early days as a Tech. I'd bought a new Regency crystal controlled rig from AES, ordered a pile of crystals for it, only got half -- the other half came as Crystal Certificates from Bomar. (AES Wickliffe had told me they had the crystals I wanted in stock, but the rig was sent from AES Milwaukee...). I sent in the certificates, plus an order for a few more pairs. Got the crystals I ordered directly in a couple of weeks, the ones from the certs took about 2 months. Go figure, Regardless, I'm glad to see they're still around; they did nice work at the time. No idea what their prices are these days.

Still looking into the others.

Thanks for the info.

7. WA9WVX

Sure do remember that. I also remember the women who came just before Christmas and cooked their specialties in the temperature chambers ... Boy that smelled so good! I also remember employees bring in spiked cherries, oranges and any other fruits about a month before the celebrating started. I still can't believe that some of those Guards didn't know what was happening. A whole lot of those company guards were former Foremen & Supervisors. Well those days are long gone and the new Motorola-Solutions, Inc. headquarters are in downtown Chicago, the main plant is completely empty of employees and the former Corporate Tower houses marketing personnel and engineers. That place is not the same any longer.

Dan
    WA9WVX

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. WA9WVX

Hey, no problem as I enjoy researching different suppliers and components but I'm not as good as Greg W9GB.

9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When I owned the Motorola reconditioned equipment center for the south-central United States (1970 - 1979 when Motorola went out of that "end" of the business), the Motorola reconditioned equipment sales office, at the Dallas, Texas, area office, would order crystals, channel elements, CTCSS reeds, etc., from Schamburg (Illinois facility) by telephone. Usually, generally within 2-business days, the crystals would be mailed from the O'Hare Airport postal facility by around midnight, to 1:00 AM local time and those crystals would be in my Post Office Box by 8:00 AM the same day! At that time, the Richardson, Texas, Post Office was the sorting center for all 750-- Zip Codes.

Unfortunately, in like 1978, the Post Office opened the Dallas Bulk Mail Center and the packages had to go through that facility. After this happened, the boxes took at least 3-days, and sometimes as much as a week, to make it into my Post Office Box.

Technically, the crystal manufacturer had to get their crystals certified for use in each of the equipment types used in the commercial two-way radio services. Of all of the independent manufacturers, only International Crystal went through the process of doing this certification. Every once-in-a-while, some FCC engineer, who didn't have that much to do that week, would actually verify the crystals installed in equipment used by certain licensees. Usually, this was done when there had been numerous "off frequency" citations made to that licensee. Often, when a crystal that was not certified for use in the particular equipment was found, a sizable fine was issued to the licensee.

Glen, K9STH

AF6LJ likes this.
  10. WA9WVX

Glen,

I can believe that information but K3XR is using his MICOM 104 for the 60 m band. It's been a long time since that HF transceiver was used in the Commercial HF Business Bands and when some one starts to consider how many FCC Field Engineers there are, it becomes a sad issue. It seems to me that our FCC is unloading more of their responsibilities on to the ARRL. I'm not saying that the more intelligent BSEEs & MSEEs aren't smart enough as they are but using a less reliable source of crystals seems to be okay for ham radio service. We don't have ICM any longer because the technology has moved on to software programming so crystals become a moot point. Then I must ask, What would you do, find another source for the required crystals or throw the older MICOM 104 into the garbage?

Dan
    WA9WVX