ad: ProAudio-1

MOTOROLA HF SSB VINTAGE RADIO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K8MOT, Aug 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8MOT

K8MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone

Motorola made a HF SSB ham radio several years ago. Does anyone remember the name of the radio ?
    Or any information on the radio, or if anyone has one for sale. I have searched the web for a couple of hours and found nothing so far. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help

Jim K8MOT (good on QRZ.COM)

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes but I wouldn't call what I have vintage.
    The whole line was called the Micom line.
    I have a Micom 500E.

KY5U likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Micom?

Nah, it's Yourcom.

K9ASE and AF6LJ like this.
  4. K8MOT

K8MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry fellows, that's modern stuff, the radio i am talking about was made in the 60s,70s,maybe 80s.

thanks for the reply's

ps: please keep looking, i am

Jim K8MOT

5. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

The MICOM I have at work was made in the late 80's.

AF6LJ likes this.
  6. AF6LJ

it must be, I have one and one more for spare parts.
    Fully solid state, no relays, Digital IF 2-30MHZ SSB CW compatable AM 125W out and two or three lower power settings.

7. AF6LJ

Cool...
    I have seen the manuals for those.
    My 500E was made in 2006.

8. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

There were some OEM / Drop Ship original tube versions built in the 1970s but I don't believe they were considered to be part of the MICOM Line. The first MICOM transceiver were 12 Channels and I think they were Crystal Controlled for Tx & Rx. The next version MICOM-X that covered 2 through 30 MHz All Synthesized but none of these transceivers were built for the Amateur Radio Market ... they were built for the Commercial HF Business Band and sold all around the world where the customers needed long distance communication where VHF 30 to 50 MHz, 72 to 80 MHz & 132 to 174 MHz, UHF 450 to 470 MHz, 800 & 900 MHz would not be able to provide enough RF signal for coverage. There's company (exclusive Dealer) for the latest MICOM Products located in California and the company name is Royal Communications International. nc. Here's their website:

http://www.royal-communications.com/index.html

You will notice that the newest MICOM Products have become much smaller in size. I remember when the MICOM-X had a remote control dash mounted head, it cost $4,000.00 alone ... that's a little out of my price range. I read that an Amateur Radio version was brought down to Dayton Hamvention, modified for a VFO for tuning across the ham bands and practically everyone that looked at this transceiver laughed as it didn't have half of standard features that the YAESU, the ICOM and the Kenwood transceivers had and the unit ONLY cost $4,000.00. Those MICOM people never showed up the following year!

Dan
    WA9WVX

9. AF6LJ

I have never seen an amateur radio version, my 500E is an HF commerical radio..
    Channelized and no VFO, not needed I might add.

10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Have a Micom 104 SSB which is a 4 channel rig that I put on 60 meters have not used it for a time but as I recall it's capable of 125-150 watts had throttled it back to comply with 60 meter regs. Would need to find the manual which might give a clue as to the year it was produced .

AF6LJ likes this.