ad: k1jek

Motorola APX 4000 P25 VHF Suitability for 2M Ham Band

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4LAC, Apr 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W4LAC

W4LAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Can anyone advise if the Motorola APX 4000 portable transceiver, model # H51WCH9PW7AN will operate on the ham 2M band on FM? I have the APX CPS code plug software already. The unit I'm looking at is a VHF model. I just wanna be sure that I can use it on the 2M ham band before I pursue it.

2. N4RAH

N4RAH Ham Member QRZ Page

W4LAC,
    Hello,
    I have the same question? I would like to buy an APX 4000 VHF with FPP, but I am having trouble getting a solid answer to whether or not it will work well as a ham HT.
    Have you had any luck learning more?
    Thanks and 73
    Rick

3. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

according to the specs VHF 136-174. UHF ones you would have to watch for as they have UHF R1 and R2 only the R1 covers 440 (380-470)

4. KN4EHX

KN4EHX Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ll go out on a limb and say it will. I own a couple APX series radios including a 7000 with VHF and it works great on ham frequencies (144-148) as well as the public service frequencies we use in my agency. FPP is great with these radios and they are incredibly easy to use.

There is a learning curve to programming the APX series. If you’re used to programming the XPR (DMR / Mototrbo) radios it isn’t quite the same. If you program any P25 phase I frequencies in your radio you’ll see what I mean, but don’t fret YouTube will come to your rescue.

As W2NAP mentioned if you plan to go UHF (you didn’t mention it) be aware there is a range 1 and 2. For ham use you’ll want R1 if going UHF.

Depending on the price points you might want to look for a APX 6000 or 7000. You’ll get a dual band radio with the 7000 but again if you’re looking for straight VHF the 4000 is an excellent choice.

Many people will question your need for a radio like this since they are P25 Phase II capable. I believe if you want a top notch highly rugged modern HT you’d be hard pressed to beat the APX line although for much less money the XTS 5000 might still fit the bill and can be zapped to be FPP capable as well. Just food for thought.

The APX series is capable of both wide and narrow band. If you decide to get one and get stumped programming let me know and I’ll try to help you.

*** Tip: program some FPP zones in mixed mode so you can FPP P25 and analog quickly.***

Best wishes,
    Nate
    KN4EHX