Motorola 440 repeater

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC9JCH, Nov 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC9JCH

KC9JCH Ham Member QRZ Page

Mods,
    I didn’t know which sub forum to post this in. If it belongs elsewhere, feel free to move it.

I was gifted an old Motorola 440 repeater that was running a gmrs pair when I got it. A friend who has the programming software and RIB tried to program it for my 440 pair and the data in the machine was somehow “corrupted”. I have the computer, RIB and software but when I read it, some of the settings can’t be changed. I am told I need a new code plug.

I have no clue about these archaic machines that need dos to program. Im currently using this machine’s duplexer set and a DR-1X on my 440 pair but would love to be able to use the Motorola. I came here first before trying to scour the bowels of the internet looking for what I need as someone here has almost certainly been in the same place. Can anybody point me in a direction or pm me a phone number or email address of “the guy” who can help?

Tim
    Kc9jch

2. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It might be helpful if you told us the model name of the repeater.

The BatLabs web site might have some useful information. The Repeater Builder web site is also a good source of information on Motorola and other brands of radios.

The ham band frequencies you are trying to program in may be outside the normal specified range of operation for the radio. If so, you may need to apply some tricks to get it to program to your frequencies. This may involve hex editing the code plug, modifying the software, entering special key sequence, etc. This depends on the model.

KB0MNM, W6KCS and KV6O like this.
  3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a nice Micor 100 W UHF repeater sitting in my garage for a while. offered it to a few repeater owners but nobody came to get it. Dragged it out of the garage, Set it in front of the house on trash pickup day and some scrapper probably got a dollar a pound for it.

4. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

You might try N1QWH Evan Scharfe, if you can find him. As others have pointed out, the model number is pretty central to determining which software series is needed. If you already know about the version of the service software, you might tell us something like "MTR2000 model" or "Micor model". Using an older 'codeplug' version is never a wise idea. The folks at Motorola(mfr.TM/R/etc.) can be reached by phone best by an authorized service center. The guy I recommended may remember me... and would not charge a $69.00 or more minimum fee without asking.

5. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Lead ( e-waste ) is generally a negative number per pound. The steel front panel, well... not so negative.

6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Not surprised. The Micor dates back to the late 60’s, early 70’s. That’s 50+ years. They can take up a lot of space at sites where space is at a premium.

7. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If the repeater needs DOS and a RIB to run, many won't want it. If you can't set it up yourself and need outside help, well that is an issue.
    I have have a DR-1X and a XPRS-8400 DMR/Analog Moto repeater.

CPS plus a USB cable to hook up to the repeater allows me great flexibility. To get Wide Band Ham vs Narrow band I paid a small price for the CPS key from a Moto Dealer in SC [key ties to your computer it allowed me to program all kinds of moto radios to wide band]

I say get rid of it and if you want a moto repeater, find one you can program on win7/10/11 with a USB network cable they call it and pay the small price for the narrow band key.

8. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

On some of the older Motorola radios, such as the Radius, or Maxtrac, if you hold down the shift key while you are entering the frequency, you can enter an out of band frequency, such as ham frequencies.

9. NK8I

NK8I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You might have to use the DOS Box program with the RIB, it is what I used to program an old GR300 repeater. There's videos on you tube on precisely how to do it.