ad: chuckmartin

Motorcycle operation

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by N4DSG, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4DSG

N4DSG Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently got back into the Ham radio hobby. I am an avid motorcycle rider. While talking on 2M the other day, I mentioned that I was going to try to set up a HT on my bike. I was told that the FCC specifically prohibits ham radio operation on a motorcycle. I vaguely remember hearing about this years ago. Is this statement correct? Have the rules changed, if that was the case years ago? Ive googled it but cant seem to find anything saying that I cant. Any help would be appreciated.

2. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have NEVER heard of such a regulation. Where did that come from??

3. KV4ZZ

KV4ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear a guy around these parts regularly in the mornings motorcycle mobile.

4. N4DSG

N4DSG Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, this is something that was brought up to me in conversation. I thought I remembered hearing something about not using ham radio on a motorcycle years ago....(15-20 years ago) I was just wondering if what this individual told me was correct. Trying to find some clarification.

5. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

A quick search of FCC Part 97 shows no reference to motorcycles.

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Does he have a good fist? ;)

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dead wrong. Never even been addressed by the FCC and its' predecessors.

8. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

rice 26.gif

As the good Colonel would put it...

9. KC5FM

KC5FM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can't cite the source and you can't find it in Part 97, then the FCC did not prohibit it.

10. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No such regulation from the fcc. I also assume you mean some kind of headset / handsfree setup.

I saw somebody on a motorcycle going down the road not too long ago that was texting. Phone in left hand, looking down at phone. Not for me LOL
    I usually don't even look down at the speedometer when I'm on the ride. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.