Motorcycle mobile radio installation examples

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KA5D, May 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's one purty bike!! Nicely done all the way around.

Dave
    W7UUU

KA3TJI likes this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

At 69 I don't ride anymore. Though my weight and BMI have remained a steady 200 pounds and 23.1 respectively for decades, it seems the cycles get heavier and heavier with each passing year. ;)

That said, I'm a former four season, New England motorcyclist with well over 100,000 miles on two wheels. And though I've operated HF CW in a cage, I wouldn't think of operating ham gear - regardless of the mode, frequency, or equipment - while driving a motorcycle. Cycle riding is exhilarating enough in and of itself.

Perhaps it's just where I'd likely ride, but there are altogether too many clueless idiots in cages to keep an eye on than to be distracted by playing ham radio. Riding out west is different. I understand that. But just the thought of operating while cycling gives me the willies. heh.

Safe riding and keep the oil side down.

KA3TJI and US7IGN like this.
  3. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I often take a radio with me when I ride a motorcycle. During stops and rest, I make several QSO from beautiful places

IMG_20200809_130907-768x1024.jpg

KA3TJI and WN1MB like this.
  4. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

Good points. I feel a bit different about hamming and riding. Whether on 4 wheels or 2, I always put driving as the only priority. It's easy to just shut the radio off if you can't give driving your 100% undivided attention.

5. KA3TJI

Thanks, Dave.

6. KA3UQQ

KA3UQQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I really would like to know how you did these masts. I am trying to do the same thing to my Kawasaki Vulcan S.

Will
    KA3UQQ

7. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a couple of 1500cc Valkyries (GL1500CT, CF).

The CT - "Tourer" - wears the trunk from a CF - "Interstate" - and I've installed a Hondaline CB rig along with a Yaesu FTM-10SR on it. Antennas are Hondaline OEM CB antenna and a dual-band Comet. The latter uses one of the OEM antenna mounting arms with a captive barrel-style SO-239 double female to mount the dual-bander. Audio from all the various sources is integrated courtesy of a Kennedy Technologies FRSet4. I also have the ability to use Bluetooth helmets with the setup.

I plan on doing something similar for the Interstate when I put a trunk back on it. Honda offered a sissy bar mounted antenna for the Standard and Tourer, and I plan to use that for the Interstate's CB rig when the bike is trunkless. It also has a FRSet4 and a VX-7R can be installed on the handlebars if ham radio is needed, as can an FRS/GMRS or MURS transceiver.

There's a bit more info about my setup in this sub-forum, and quite a few threads on the VRCC's 1500 Tech forum discussing the how-tos.

8. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just an FYI- One friend told me that the 'learning curve' on his TM-V71a was a bit too difficult for his mobile installation. So this is just a recommendation that you try the rig as a fixed station for a few days before attempting mobile operation ( or at least select a simplex frequency prior to driving ). Since I owned the TM-D700a at the time, I could neither confirm nor deny any 'human factors' about menu navigation for the radio while in motion. I also do not ride motorcycles anymore- since I first figured out how a throttle can be pulled wide open by accident. The urge to grip is stronger than to let go.

9. KA3TJI

I'm not sure there's a learning curve with the V71a as it is the simplest and most straight forward radio on the market. Nothing easier tan two volume and squelch controls and a nice big VFO/MEM channel knob. You want complex, try a Yaesu with all their menus and sub-menus.:)

KB0MNM likes this.
  10. KN4VZW

KN4VZW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to let everyone know. I had success with an Anytone 878 bluetooth to 17 Harley Radio with the remote ptt switch on my handlebar. I had it connected via zumspot with a jet pack for internet. Good signal and little to no wind reported. I failed to do this with my ft3d. Bluetooth just would not sink.