Motor Home in California

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by SA4ATH, Jan 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. SA4ATH

SA4ATH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi.

Me and my wife are planning to rent a Motor home and drive the California cost way in spring 2017.
    We are motorhome owners here in Sweden
    Have an idea that I take my FT-817 with me : )

So I like to know the repeater frequencies in that area and mayby if there are any RV frequencies so I can prepare my FT-817.

Greateful if some one can help us in this case.
    We are also greateful for tips on RV camping in CA.

Best Regards from Sweden
    SA4ATH Christer = christer.w (a) sverige.nu

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  2. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings Christer,

I can't answer your request for RV-specific frequencies, but for all the repeaters, you'll find success with RepeaterBook.com.

You could search for repeaters by Proximity to an address or location, and sort the results in many ways.
    <http://www.repeaterbook.com/>
    upload_2017-1-2_20-59-32.png

It would be best if you created a free account, and then you'd be able to export the results to various file formats, and pre-load the FT-817 memories with frequencies along your path.

There is also a RepeaterBook smart-phone application, available for Android, Amazon/Kindle, and iPhone. Either of these (or both) should be all you'd need to find repeaters during your trip.

Enjoy your travels!

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can get on 75m, check out the Western County Cousins, every evening. Nice folks and great RVers. Lookup W6CCN here.

4. SA4ATH

Thank you for answer : )

We are now seeking for a one way rental of a Motorhome from april 3 to april 13 . pickup i LasVegas - return in San Fransico.
    so if anyone has any suggestions, let us know ; )
    regards
    SA4ATH Christer

5. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

6. SA4ATH

Thank you for this link, we will check this to day.

// Christer

7. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Check out the 7155 group on 40 meters each morning daylight till mid morning they're all our beers and Southern California and Arizona

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Check out details on this website: http://www.camp-california.com/

You didn't say how long your visit will be, but Las Vegas to San Francisco via the California coastline would take at least four days if you're in a hurry, and much longer if you're not. I'd recommend taking it slowly and plan on 7-10 days. Also recommend making reservations at campsites well in advance, as they can "book up" pretty quickly and have no RV spaces available.

If you're renting a larger motor home you'd want a "pull through" space, and those are more limited.

If you'll be heading up the coast from San Diego to San Francisco, you'll pass through L.A. and maybe we can meet up for coffee or breakfast or something. I'm 12 miles due north of Malibu Beach and can work mobiles there on 146.52 simplex (USA "calling frequency" for 2m FM).

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. SA4ATH

Thanks for the information and invitation WB2WIK ; )

We are planning to drive the coastway up betwin april 4 to april 12.

WA7PRC likes this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

On HF check out 7155 each morning right at sunrise for a couple of hours West Coast RVs are prevalent on that frequency