ad: ARR

Most Remarkable Ham Radio Contacts

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Jun 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I will go first.
    I had a Heathkit SB-104A. It has a 1 watt RF output selector on the front panel. I was testing the 1 watt into a dummy load in a basement on 10 meters calling CQ with my call sign and a contact came back from FL.
    Second remarkable contact was using 25 watts on 2 meter SSB calling CQ from MI and a station came in for about 10 seconds from New Zealand.

KA0USE, W3MMM and W4IOA like this.
  2. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Making a confirmed contact with western Kiribati running split on 17m using a ts 820 and a non modified 5btv antenna. Not only was my antenna not setup for 17m but I spun the vfo back and forth to make the contact. The dx station worked with me on that one for sure.

3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

CW QSO from Virginia to Colorado. But was having a heck of a time tuning the rig prior to making that QSO.

Afterwards, went outside to check the antenna and that's when I discovered why - the coax was laying on the patio, disconnected !

That MFJ-949E manual tuner could tune just about anything ... even a open feedline!

K9ASE, KM4SII, W4IOA and 1 other person like this.
  4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometime in 1987...

When I lived in San Diego, my antenna was an "apartment dweller" (i.e., 33-inch-long metal rod with a heavily-loaded base coil that hung out our kitchen window) fed with my transmitter set at 5 Watts. I had a rock solid CW QSO with a station in Australia.

5. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My two favorites:

1. My first CW QSO. I was practicing sending code, with my rig set at minimum power, connected to a dummy load. An OM station came back to my CQ, gave me a 559, and scared the crap out of me!

2. I remember one evening, just before I went downstairs to dinner, seeing a Russian spotted on 160m. I had just put up my latest attempt at a 160m antenna, so I thought I'd take a quick listen to see if I could hear into Russia. I was surprised at how loud he was, and even more surprised that I was able to quickly work him. It wasn't until the next morning, when I looked at the QRZ database information that my logging software had pulled over that I realized that it wasn't a Russian station. I had worked a Russian base in the South Shetland Islands...and I hadn't previously worked South Shetland on any band.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    KU4X and W4IOA like this.
  6. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of remarkable contacts.

One that comes to mind was working V5/OD5LN in May, 2014. General Niam Ziade ( General Secretary of the Lebanese Army ) was operating from Namibia ( southern Africa ). Two years later he is visiting the DC area and telephones me, would like to visit. So I drove up to northern Virginia to pick him up, and drove him to my home in southern Virginia where we spent most of the day. He got the grand tour of the antenna farm, operated from my station, and we shared some meals together. Was great. That doesn't happen every day.

K9ASE, KN4DXX, W1TRY and 2 others like this.
  7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

that's cool! Id be happy to share meals with foreign hams but i doubt anyone wants to make a trip to work my vertical :)

K9ASE and W4NNF like this.
  8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KK6NOH, N8WCL, KN4DXX and 8 others like this.
  9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Working Andy Devine on 75 a few days after I got my General. When I was a Novice, I was in Henry Radio in L.A., and I hear this oddly familiar laugh coming out of one of the little demo rooms. It was Andy Devine! I'd never met anyone famous before....and I introduced myself, told him I had a Novice, and was working on my General. He said he'd be happy to work me as soon as I got my general (he apologized for not having a key any more), and he made good on his promise a couple of months later. Very neat guy.

K9ASE likes this.
  10. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Working a guy on 2 meters with an old HP tube type signal generator on a short whip while trying to tune an old Motorola G strip receiver. This guy (whom I knew slightly) came back to me as I shouted into the front panel of the signal generator to work him.
    On another occasion, probably not that remarkable, I worked a Japanese mobile station on 15 meters while I myself was mobile in west Texas using a Kenwood TS-440 SAT.
    Tom WA4ILH

W2VW likes this.