ad: k1jek

Most of the World's Written Language is Left to Right, Yes?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Jun 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, Hebrew is Right to Left, I believe Japanese and other Asian languages may also be "Right to Left" or even "Bottom Right to upper Left". This is how I spent most of my day with a TS-590.

Our club lost a member. As it is almost "written in stone", if the ARO becomes an SK before his/her mate, the survivor has no idea what to do with dear-departed-SK's Shack. This is how our club inherited a TS-590 and 570.

We had our Club breakfast on Sat. I took home the Kenwood's as I am nearly home-bound 24/7, as I care for my 90+ YO mom, I can demo the radio's for a prospective buyer. Until Sat. the only Kenwood in my possession, was the tri-band HT. My Shack is all Yeasu, (not to dump on the others by any means), my first radio was a Yeasu HT, I used for "Radio Telephone", back when Cell Phones were in diapers and you were charged for INCOMPLETE calls, the late 80's. That HT had a huge battery attached by a very weak mount. Drop it... and you may be in the market for a new radio or for sure, a battery.:eek:

I have a DX-1200 and FT-991

So I cable up the power supply, fire up the radio and...nothing...can't hear diddly-squat. My SDR said quite the contrary on 20 and 6.

Fast-Forward about 6 hours...

Only after I put on my reading glasses and took a long look at the back side, (yes I did read the manual and failed to see it) I saw to my shock and terror, the folks at Kenwood decided to make "Antenna 2" the Left side connector and "Antenna 1", the Right side, in bound, the exact opposite of my Yeasu's. What were they thinking? Most of the day, I was calling out, to a Dummy load.

Yes the TS-590 worked as expected after swapping the cable and dummy load...

Initial reaction, "would I trade it for my FT-991?"

No chance...unless I'm missing something good. :rolleyes:

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you think they are dyslexic, or us?

3. KM6CND

If it's us...

4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Dummy load is a compound noun, not a command. : )

KM6CND likes this.
  5. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

If the antenna connector is on the back of the radio, then whether it is the left or right one depends on whether you're looking at the radio from the front control panel side or from the side where you plug the antennas in.

WD4IGX and K3XR like this.
  6. KM6CND

Next time I will use "Driver side or Passenger side".

K8MHZ and K3XR like this.
  7. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

When I change cabling, without moving the rigs, I bring up an image of the rear panel, maybe use a small mirror, and refer to ports as inboard, outboard, middle, up or down.
    Mike N3PM

K4AGO likes this.
  8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Radios should come with a warning label.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people count up, Some count down.

The doctor tells you to count down, When he puts you down under.

Counting up to launch a rocket would not sound right.

On radios you have front view and rear view. Depends how you look at it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    N1DQQ likes this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most languages are written left-to-right because most people are right-handed.