ad: AlphaRF-1

Most frequently broken FCC Part 97 rules...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3KW, Mar 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3KW

W3KW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is my vote for the single most broken FCC Part 97 rule:

SS 97.313 Transmitter power standards.

(a) An amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.

It goes something like this:

“Station calling...you are 40 over here...”

“Oh, let me turn the power down...”

Said no ham I’ve operated in 11 years.

Maybe not a big deal now. So few hams operating and solar conditions aren’t great. When the bands open up, should we lower the power on our 200 foot high, 20 element antenna we are pumping 1500 watts into when the station 500 miles away reports “40 over?” It might allow two hams 10,000 miles away to utilize the same frequency to accomplish their contact?

Eh, just an observation after reading a nice article about QRP.

What’s your vote for the most broken FCC Part 97 rule?

N4FZ, WQ4G, W9WQA and 2 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Most frequently broken?

My vote would be "Kerchunking the repeater without identifying"

Dave
    W7UUU

KD2RDG, KR4YON, N4FZ and 18 others like this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've ID'd without kerchunking, but not kerchunked without ID'ing.:rolleyes: (Why does it seem so hard to ID?:confused:)

K0UO likes this.
  4. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I get a kick when some curmudgeon get's on the air and says "I know who you are". He's so worked up he forgets to ID.

N5MNX, K8XG, SA6CKE and 1 other person like this.
  5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

WSPR beacons below 28 MHz. I'm beginning to have a suspicion that some are occasionally unattended.

N5HXR, K0UO and K3XR like this.
  6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Dit dit at the end of a CW QSO. Blatantly unidentified transmission.

PU2OZT, W3KW, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

They should be rounded up and shackled, I say!!!!!!

Dave
    W7UUU

dit dit

N5MNX, N4FZ, KE5OFJ and 3 others like this.
  8. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

@W3KW I have to agree with the first two respondents. @W7UUU and @K8HIT. Non-identifying has to be the number one rule violated, hands down. We hear it all the time.

Now, to your complaint: excess power, or the idea that one station or another is running "excess power" is one of the most commonly complained about on the ham bands but it is the hardest to prove.

Case in point: One fine day back about 1989 or so, the ten meter band was in extremely good condition. I was talking to some stations in Texas with very good signals each direction. One of the stations demanded to know how much power I was running because he was sure that I was running way too much. I enjoyed telling him, "Thanks for the good signal report! station here is a Kenwood TS-940 running about 70 watts into a Cushcraft A-3 Tri-bander at 30 AGL.".

I'm sure that he, like yourself, did not believe me, but the conditions were just that good! I miss ten meters... So anyway, after that I made a QRPp contact with one of the Texas stations who was running what he called a FireBall Ten transmitter that put out only .001 watts! He was still 10 over nine at that level. ... And yes, I turned my power down as low as it would go, so there's that. I've tuned my power down lost of times. So that part of your argument is not good.

Did I mention that I really miss ten meters? When it's good, it's really, really good: but when it's bad (like now), it's really really bad...

Back to the excess power question: hard to prove especially given this:
    There's the fly in the ointment: maybe the operator wants to be crystal clear every where and his "desired communications" requires a bit more power than some would deem necessary? As long as he / she does not exceed the hard limit of 1500 PEP out who are we to determine the desired level for communications? Yeah, maybe it's not good if in addition to the power level they have the audio levels cranked way up and maybe they're doing the ESSB thing on an already crowded band? The crummy signal brigade is easy to see but they can have a crummy signal at any power level and still splatter. It's just worse at the higher power levels.

So, if we're gonna complain, let's complain about something that's at least measurable like excessive / wide audio, not identifying properly, kerchunking the repeater, cursing on air, or just generally poor operating...

PU2OZT, W4IOA, VK6APZ and 2 others like this.
  9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey I used to do that all the time, most stations responded similarly.:)

10. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Calling "Breaker Breaker 520" when calling on 146.520

N5MNX, K3XR, WQ4G and 4 others like this.