most dx working

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by 2E0OKC, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

W3LPL 3523.1 XR0YG 1044 27 Mar Easter Island
    W1VT-@ 3523.0 XR0YG up 1 cqing 1044 27 Mar Easter Island
    PY3YD
    3522.1 XR0YG UP 23.5 tnx 5NN FB 0912 27 Mar Easter Island

This is a very reliable low power technique--working stuff before the DX spot! Not only did I get them with 100 watts and a wire vertical, I logged the QSO and spotted it before it was reported by the spotting robot!

Spotting Networks can be very effective for a low power/QRP station if used properly--if you are known for good spots big stations will chase your spots, giving you more time to work the DX before someone spots it!

Zack W1VT

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. VK3KTT

VK3KTT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

the key with low power is to work the station b4 it hits the cluster or with a dx expedition to wait a day or 2 for the big guns to fill their band spots. I run 100watts and wire. its doable but you have to pick you moments. when there is a big pile up dont waste your time unless you use that time to learn how the op works. also learn to read propogation., i'm still trying to crack africa but not having much luck :( I can hear them but not work them yet.

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't read the post(s)in which anyone claimed it was easy with 5watts and a G5RV.

if you "know all the techniques", what's the problem?

it matters little but lots of us had no problem with P5 and BS7H from the east coast. There must be some other explanation...

4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Studying propagation is very important, particularly if you live in Australia or some other place where there aren't a lot of DXers. You will learn that the band can be "too good"--the DX will be booming in, but you have no realistic chance of working anything that has a pileup--someone is always louder--unless the DX specifically listens for you. Then there are other times in which the band is actually pretty crummy--but you can get the DX contact because your propagation is better than anyone else's!

Zack W1VT

5. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

A great site, especially for newer amateur radio operators, is the DX Code of Conduct website. http://dx-code.org/home.html. There are a lot of very helpful publications that are FREE and can help point you in the right direction and they are available in many different languages. http://dx-code.org/publications.html

Good Luck!

6. VK3KTT

VK3KTT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yep I have found that in my limited time dxing we also come at the dx from a different angle and some times. we just sneak in. we also dont have to wait long for the big guns to finish cause there aren't that many of them here. the main problem I have found is working africa they are always pointed toward eu or NA makes it hard from here

7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Look for DX-peditions that are running a vertical!

Zack W1VT

8. UA6JD

UA6JD Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember BS7H using verical and had a good signal from 40 to ten

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.