most dx working

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by 2E0OKC, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. 2E0OKC

2E0OKC Ham Member QRZ Page

hiya all ,
    am i the only one that has problems trying to work people that are calling dx and they have a pile up going on ,

dont any opperator hold back for a few seconds and listen for the qrp or just low powerd stations .
    nice little iland i wonted to work on 40m tonight but just couldnt get a gap so my voice could be noticed,

after calling for an hour im off to bed i give up , ill try again tomorrow if anything good about,
    night all

2. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't give up, I have trouble getting through sometimes. Be patient and learn the patterns of the DX stations, up 1kc..2kc, etc. See where the pileup is calling and jump ahead in frequency and call. Lots of tricks to learn. Most of all, have fun, even if you don't work them all! That's what Ham Radio is about, and friendship. :) 73s

3. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Depending on who the DX is, with 100 watts I often call for hours with no success.....and then success, keep trying!

With QRP, you really need to be very good at putting your transmitter where the DX is listening after the last QSO.

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I suffered for YEARS trying to get through pileups with 100W. Mostly it was beating my head on the table, and FINALLY when the DX was worked, it was as if it was a MIRACLE!

Then I gotta KILOWATT, and things are much less frustrating. In fact, I am extremely disappointed when I DON'T get through! A Kilowatt makes all the difference in the world. Life is too short for great frustration and agony. Get a Kilowatt and make life more enjoyable!

5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

When did the power limit in the UK get increased to 1kw?

note many on the top of the Honor Roll are in the UK

6. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's mainly about timing. Learn the pattern the DX is using to listen through a range, or sneak your call in at the right time, and you are likely to be heard. Sometimes you can beat your head against the wall even with high power. I don't know if it really makes much sense for the DX to announce "QRP only". There's too wide a range of definitions of QRP. And I doubt everyone would be honest about what they're running for power anyway. I've called for an hour with 800 watts and not gotten through. I've also forgotten to take the amp off of standby, and gotten through with 80 watts. Too many variables to consider. I don't think anyone is entitled to special consideration, myself included :)

7. 2E0OKC

hiya yes i get what you saying but you do get ,, dx calling then they will say only asia only asia then go back to dx every one, would just be nice maybe for some to think only low power please even if its once every 20 minutes, its just thinking of others, that dont have the big guns as they call it,

and thanks for your reply 73 , have a nice evening

8. 2E0OKC

hi yup a killo watt would be nice but i only have 50watts :) ill have to get on with my next licence,

9. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've called for HOURS in big pileups with a KW before and trying every trick in the book!
    If you are going to be QRP, you will have to live with it.

...and 50 watts isn't QRP.

10. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Or try another mode like CW! Its a lot more effective at cutting through when you are on a low power. Though I have to admit I dont jump into pileups, I'm pretty casual in my operating if I get a new country its great but I'm not a fanatic :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.