Mosley MP-33-NW w TA-40-KR 40M - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K6BRN, Mar 10, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi:

I'm considering replacing a relatively new Cushcraft A3S (up just 3 months) and 40M dipole add-on with a Mosley MP-33-NW and TA-40-KR 40M dipole add-on kit. From a size, weight and wind load perspective, the MP-33-NW seems to be a drop in replacement for the A3S, but adds 12 and 17 meter capability, and has a 12 ft. vs. 14 ft. boom. Size, weight and windload is important, since the antenna mount probably does not have enough margin to comfortably handle a full-sized TA-33, and my home is on a narrow beach community lot.

The (new MFJ redesigned) A3S driven element trap coil forms are mechanically weak and flexible, making the A3S prone to sudden, large SWR jumps. I'm done with repairing this antenna, over and over again.

Does anyone have experience with the MP-33-NW, and the TA-40-KR? How does it perform? Is it robust mechanically and electrically? I'd really like to avoid more trips up the mast to do antenna repairs and replacement, not to mention the interrupted QSOs due to repeated trap flexing and SWR jumps.

Thanks for your advice!

Brian K6BRN