Mosley Classic 33/TA 33 WARC w/ 40 meter kit Tower Installation Question

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W8RKO, Oct 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W8RKO

W8RKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Mosley Classic 33 installed on a guyed tower. I decided to make some changes to the antenna arrangement on the tower. There are a couple of yagis (VHF/UHF) installed above the Classic 33. Removed all the antennas off of the tower with a gin pole. The Classic 33 was rebuilt with the WARC kit and 40 meter kit. The rebuilt Mosley is now assembled on the ground. As I look at those support ropes used on the 40 meter kit, I am wondering how I am going to get this thing installed with antennas above it.

The final configuration will be 10 feet of mast (2" with 1/4" sidewall) above the thrust bearing. The Mosley will be the bottom antenna. Above it will be a 6 meter and 2 meter yagi. If it was not for those support ropes I would drop the mast down into the tower, install the top yagi, jack up the mast, install the second, then jack the mast to final height and pull up the Mosley with the gin pole. Slip it into the mast just above the thrust bearing.

With the support ropes for the 40 meter kit I can not just slide the Mosley into the mast. So the plan was to put the Mosley up first with the mast lowered into the tower. Leave the u-bolts loose and tie the boom onto the tower top plate. That way I lower the Mosley onto the short mast getting me around the support ropes. The plan was to start raising the mast installing the top yagi then the one in the center. Finally tighten the u-bolts for the Mosley. Well, that sounds like it would work but one problem.... the gin pole.

As the Mosley is raised by the gin pole rope I will get into a situation where the horizontal support ropes for the 40 meter kit will be in conflict with the gin pole and the gin pole rope. The man on the tower (me) would have to man-handle the antenna allowing the gin pole rope to go slack. That way the beam could be tilted and slipped over the gin pole on the inside of the support ropes. I would no longer have the help of the gin pole rope to carry the weight of the Mosley. That rope would be laying on top of the horizontal support rope then curving back around under the rope on its way back to the gin pole.

Anyone here install a Mosley TA33/CL33 with the WARC and 40 meter kit? How did you deal with those support ropes running from the 40 meter trap to the ends of the boom?

Mike

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bucket truck.:)

3. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Mike, I went just a little different from your setup. I installed a Mosley Shorty Forty at the base of my mast and 10 feet up top mast a Mosley TA 33 WARC. No problems with antenna either antenna and it works great! No support ropes....

Frank

4. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If the support rope for that element is directly above the antennas boom, and if that antenna/boom is attached to the side of the vertical support mast, it should clear the mast just fine. Those ropes don't do anything electrically so being close to the mast is just a physical thingy.

5. WB2WIK

I think the problem he describes is based on using a ginpole and mechanical interference during installation.

6. W8RKO

The vertical support rope is not an issue. It is the horizontal ones from the driven element ends (at the 40 meter traps) to the director boom mount and the reflector boom mount. Looking down on the antenna the ropes form a diamond shape. This restricts any horizontal movement of the driven element. During installation the horizontal ropes get in the way. On the tower the antenna is too heavy to man handle around without support of the ginpole rope. Discussing this with a local ham that has some experience with this arrangement it would appear the 40 meter kit is better suited to installations where the tower is either a short non-guyed structure or a tilt over where the antenna can be placed on the mast while on the ground by a couple of men. Of course a bucket truck would do nicely. My tower is 90 feet high so a 100 foot bucket or crane is very cost prohibitive.

At this point I am going to remove the 40 meter kit and leave just the WARC kit. No support ropes in this configuration. At some point I may look at using a separate 40 meter rotatable dipole above the Mosley. For now I will put the 40 meter inverted-V back on the tower at the 60 foot level.

Thanks for your suggestion guys!

Mike

7. WB2WIK

There were and maybe still are some 40m beams that don't require the support ropes, but the only ones I've ever installed that didn't require them were made by Telrex (long gone) and incredibly heavy. They also weren't loaded, so the elements were in the 60-70' length range, but very large gauge tubing and the elements went through the boom so they couldn't get knocked out of alignment.

Telrex made a 3L 40m monobander, and I installed one of these back in the seventies...it must have weighed >200 lbs so no way to "manhandle" that at the top of a tower. A crane to lift it into position was the only option. All I had to do was clamp it into position and run the coax down to make a loop around the rotator.

If you have a lot of clear space around your tower so the beam won't get tangled in trees and such, and a very hard surface a crane can park and level off, a >100' boom crane may not be such a bad idea. I can rent one here for about $350 for 2 hours, with operator. However, I don't need one, and one could not park in my driveway...it's not strong enough...same reason a cement mixer can't park in my driveway. So, it would have to park and level off in the street.

8. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

How about hoisting the thing 'sideways' then flipping it right way up at the top of the tower? Hoisting it 'side-ways' would keep those guy ropes vertical to the tower and mast till it got to where it's going. If the gin pole is in the way, can the thing be hoisted high enough to clear that gin pole then let down? Not very clear, but hope it makes sense to you.

9. W8RKO

We thought about that. We have the top set of guys to deal with. It also requires a lot of man handling without having much lift from the gin pole rope once we started moving it around. With two people on the tower the second guy could lower the gin pole once we clear the top guys. As long as the first man can hold onto the antenna while the gin pole is lowered by the second. Now just drop it horizontal and onto the mast. The antenna is rather heavy but two guys could manage it.