Morse is History

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ6XA, Aug 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AE6IP

AE6IP Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (amnman @ Sep. 18 2003,10:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To all the folks on this and other threads dealing with the code,

She feels, after watching me do CW and hearing how fast 5 WPM sounds, that she can pass the 5 WPM..... By Oct 25th, 2003 (next testing session). That's only a little more than a month away. Too top it off, she wants to get her General as well. Chris N0TTW[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Your wife is lucky to have an Elmer in the same house. I learned code cold in three weeks using Morse Academy and the ARRL practice tapes, so I'm sure she'll manage.

I wish her best of luck, and wonder when she'll take the extra test.

2. N0TTW

N0TTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Go for Extra?!? [​IMG] If she get's her General, I may have to get another station set up for me [​IMG] .

She already sees me studying for the Extra test. She thinks the questions she's been reading are out of her league. Little does she realize she's getting some knowledge when she does this. Especially when she see's the explanation of WHY the answer IS the answer.

As for learning the code, I guess you can say she is lucky to have an Elmer in the house.

Like you, I had to learn the code cold. So she has an advantage over me.

Chris N0TTW

3. KG6KZP

KG6KZP Ham Member QRZ Page

well you are right just one thing we need to have a mandatore school for radio before you can test that will be the filter you are looking for

4. Guest

Guest Guest

IT APPEARS TO ME THERE IS MORE ACTIVITY ON THESE THREADS THAN THERE IS ON THE BANDS.all i can say is that there is more than 2000 threads on this one subject alone.BTW there is nothing left of that POOR HORSE he has been beaten into OBLIVION. hi, hi ,hi. [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG] 73 de N2NZJ TOM NCI#4936  [​IMG]  

5. KN6Z

KN6Z Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N2NZJ @ Sep. 18 2003,23:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">IT APPEARS TO ME THERE IS MORE ACTIVITY ON THESE THREADS THAN THERE IS ON THE BANDS[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hell. There's no comparison. If ham radio is sick, it may be because everybody is here.

6. n0zu

n0zu Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] MAybe thay sould put this on the National news
    on NBC, CBS, and ABC.
    MAybe it would move faster. [​IMG]

7. KN6Z

KN6Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if the author of "History" would care to comment on whether she thinks her article achieved its purpose, and what that purpose was, if any. Unification? Conflagration?

8. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kn6z @ Sep. 20 2003,00:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder if the author of "History" would care to comment on whether she thinks her article achieved its purpose, and what that purpose was, if any.  Unification?  Conflagration?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Thanks for the invitation.
    The answer is:
    I believe that the article helped to clarify the issue in the minds of many ham radio operators at a critical point in the evolution of restructuring the amateur radio service.
    In hindsight, it may have even helped lead to the elimination of the talent test (morse testing) for amateur radio service HF operators.

73---Bonnie KQ6XA

9. KD5TLC

KD5TLC Ham Member QRZ Page

_-_- -_ _ -- _ - _ _ _ -_- - ---_ - -_- [​IMG]

10. W2NSF

W2NSF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great article; can't say I've seen a position so well expressed.

How about a licensing system that required a MINIMUM STAY AT EACH LICENSE LEVEL, say one year, to give each licensee some exposure and experience at their newly acquired level, with their newly-acquired privledges, before moving on to the next level. Kind of like gaining your driving experience. There are learner's permits, junior licenses, and driver's ed classes, but drivers licensing is winds up being age dependent, with forces one to wait and spend some "learning time" at your own level.

It would give them time to pick up the experiences and practices and absorb some of that good "Elmer mentoring" before running willy nilly over everyones QSOs. Not everyone on the bands today is capable of (or wants to give) polite corrections to our new operators.

I think today's licensing system usually produces this kind of time-delay effect, anyhow, but the removal of the code requirement will produce a flood of "newbies" onto the bands. Some of these will come from those who are licensed and have some time on the air and still others will be "straight from the street." This hobby has a grand tradition of "Elmering" and that's what it will take to get all these new operators up to speed with the procedures and courtesies of HF.

I think ham radio is the best of all hobbies and when the code requirement is finally gone, it will change a little, but it will still provide people with the fun and satisfaction of generating one's own radio signal and throwing it halfway across the world, only to get a reply from a fellow ham.

(Now, those that know me can accuse me of "got mine, now let them get theirs" because I went from "Zero to General" in one sitting and got Extra not long thereafter. If it's any consequence, I was a Novice for a year, back in the old days, so there .) [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.