ad: ProAudio-1

Morse is History

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ6XA, Aug 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

<a href="http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=3;t=42778;st=0" target="_blank">Morse is History

Click here</a>

[​IMG]

2. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, the old Mobius Strip at the end of the thread! Just like all those old hokey '50s films...

<span style='color:darkgreen'><span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>THE END?</span></span>

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess I was communicating with the dearly departed when I had about 8 contacts on cw last night.  Sure adds a new twist to working cw.

4. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

ae6ip-sir you have a good post there,73 good luck Bill

5. WY2U

WY2U Ham Member QRZ Page

Quote (KQ6XA @ Nov. 10 2005,04:30)

Morse is History

Click here

Bonnie, I notice you posted your treatise on "Morse is History" at least twice, which, by the way is extremely well written; you seem to have a technical background with a good command of the English language.

One question that I do have for you, however, is since you seem have a technical background, why is it that you have not upgraded to Extra? It would seem to me that someone like yourself, who professes to have the proper background, with a large audience of follower hams would have wanted to optimize their ability for VE testing and Elmering; and therefore would want to possess the top license class?

I am curious why you have not done so?

If you check my bio on QRZ, you would notice that I have an advanced degree in Electronic Engineering; and enjoy engineering design, antenna modeling, instruction and Elmering. Therefore I would not be satisfied with anything but the top class. Also, check my web page (www.wy2u.net), and you will notice that I have varied technical interests.

My primary mode of choice on HF is CW, and consequently, I have negative feelings about the removal of Morse Code testing for HF access.

I have read your treatise, I respect your opinion, but I do not agree with your assessment.

Qualified technical people are not being held back from HF ham radio by the inclusion of a 5 WPM morse code exam. Please remember that these "qualified people" should have gone through a rigorous educational curriculum consisting of not only technical subjects, but liberal arts subjects as well.

I never heard a technical person say "I would have been an engineer if it wasn't for Philosophy or coed dance." Or "I would be a graduate engineer if it wasn't for English Literature."

I don't not buy the argument that implies that "I would have been on HF if it wasn't for that CW exam." If a person is desirous of something badly enough, then they would strive to achieve it, even if it required studying some subjects of no interest or use.

I beleive HF access on the Ham Bands should be treated in the same manner, if Morse code is a requirement, then go do it; study it, and pass the exam.

It's not about legacy or obsolete modes, it's about professionalism and motivation.

73 ... de ... WY2U

6. KI4BNC

KI4BNC Ham Member QRZ Page

THUMP.........THUMP.........THUMP......THUMP...........THUMP.........THUMP..........THUMP.
    ......(sound of dead horse being beaten...............THUMP.......again)

LOL!!!
                                         [​IMG]

7. AE5SC

AE5SC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a reminder to those who see CW as absolutely essential to Emcomm. Our own military doesn't even use CW! CW is RARELY ever needed for Emcomm. It is a cool thing to learn, don't get me wrong...but let us not pretend it is such a needed mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.