MORSE CODE Still Viable After 175 Years

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W5BIB, May 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting. I agree with @WC3T about your opinion, no matter how inane. Would you have any actual facts you could share with us that led you to those conclusions?

WC3T likes this.
  2. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello dere down deep in the cave. The light's not really so bad. Come on up!

While there were Morse Code requirements, there were lotsa hams. The Morse requirements at
    5 or 13 wpm were not difficult for most people to meet. 20 wpm for the Extra exam also far
    from a difficult task. People just did it. Like people go through the booklet before they take
    the exam so they can renew their driver's license or get a new one in a new state. No biggie.

And guess what? In some countries, Great Britain is one of them, you still have to take a code
    test. Wowee!

W4AUT likes this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Just pound yer key harder! :p

4. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

OK Guys --Here we go---

Everyone's entitled to his or her opinion. Be a ham the way you want to communicate. If you need to take the position,

"My radio's bigger than your radio!" or some analogue to that to feel good about yourself, good for you; and god-speed finding yourself a good therapist.

Over the past 20 years, there has been a real die-off of institutional knowledge about ham radio and communications in general. The prior poster's statements

are factually incorrect. International Morse is not dead for military communications and its usefulness has not been lost on our adversaries and our allies.

Every night on HF, if you know where to look, you will hear Russian military stations in nets of 3 or 4 getting fills and passing operational reports using

manual CW. You can copy "Fox" broadcasts (coded 5-letter groups) from foreign embassies on 3.5-3.9 MHz and the Israeli Navy sending hourly

encrypted broadcasts on 4331 kHz and 6607 at approx 20WPM. Don't presume to understand more than you actually know about any given subject. Irrespective of

any political positions you may hold, one thing that cannot be accurately held is that the Russians and the Israelis are stupid .

This is the USA; do whatever you want. And you can be a communicator, or you can sound like an Amateur, both on -and -off-the air.

Good luck to us all.

WA1GXC Commercial Radiotelegraph Operator First Class, Ship Radar Endorsement 1976

N0NC, W5BIB, W4AUT and 1 other person like this.
  5. W4AUT

W4AUT Ham Member QRZ Page

AAAAAAMMMMMMEEEEENNNNN!!!!!!!!!

N0NC and W5BIB like this.
  6. W4AUT

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!!! Oh, you too Californa!!!BB

7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said.

ex U.S. Navy CTR1 (1964-72)
    ex WLO Mobile Marine Radio CW operator (1988-95)

8. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

A code test is available in GB (if you look in the right places*) but you do not have to take it to get a full amateur licence. The requirement was dropped about 15 years ago...

* https://rsgb.org/main/operating/morse/certificate-of-competency/

9. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I stand corrected. It is not easy to determine where Morse Code is still required for licensing, but possibly still in India, Pakistan, Greece and Mexico. At any rate more countries are dropping the requirement. Most recently, apparently, Taiwan.

Despite the easing of licensing requirements, there seems to be an ongoing interest in using Morse Code
    for radio communication. For whatever reasons plenty of hams who didn't have to take a code exam to
    get licensed want to learn Morse Code.

Further evidence is the apparently very busy trade in making and selling rather expensive paddles which are good for only one thing (which is not ping pong).

W5BIB likes this.
  10. W4AUT

Thank you Sir; I served in the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Coast Guard. I was a Radioman in both Branches. I was station aboard two CG Cutters and quite familiar with the Merchant Marine CW operations. Amateur Radio License used to be a valued ticket, not so much anymore. Sad for us old timers to witness the decline in license requirements. C.W., once mastered, is a fun and versatile operation mode. But, you will never convinced the computer nerds to put forth the human effort to learn C.W., now that the have computers that send and receive the code. My 2 cents...73

N8AFT, N0NC and W5BIB like this.