ad: dxeng

MORSE CODE Still Viable After 175 Years

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W5BIB, May 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W4AUT

W4AUT Ham Member QRZ Page

C.W. was taught by listening to Elvis music in one ear and the code in the other (U.S. Navy RM"A" School 1964). We developed a swing by the rhythm of the music, it was a great learning tool. Navy had been teaching code to Radiomen for years and developed this method. We were required to send/receive 18 wpm too graduate. Also, had 4 hours of basic electronic's and radio operations everyday. The course was approximately 6-8 months in length. Therefore, back to my EFFORT point, the FCC downgraded the license requirements, for several reasons, they saw a outdated mode (Their opinion) and gave into pressure from groups and manufacture's who wanted to expand their sales base. I'm in no way being critical of their decision! I'm however, being critical of the ARRL for not demanding more input into that decision, agree or disagree! If we as a society, decide to make things in life easier because of economic, political or social pressure's, then in the long term, everyone loses!! Let me be perfectly clear, I'm 73 Years young and the older you get the fewer people share your view's or opinion!, So, you have your opinion (KE6EE) and I have mind!! 73's to you!!

N0NC likes this.
  2. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's always good to have an opinion. It's even better to have one based on cogent reasoning and facts.

N2EY likes this.
  3. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

Well you are significantly younger than I and in the years I've grown after I achieved your
    meager age I've learned that while opinions may differ I am the only one who is always right.

That's because I discovered the secret of how not to "mind" other opinions. Especially those
    in bold or, even worse, ALL CAPS.

4. W4AUT

BRAG'IN isn't BRAG'IN if it's a FACT!! Like your reply O.M.

5. W4AUT

The F.C.C. should have heeded what we teach in the Navy everyday during the license debate,
    $%&@ in $%&@ out!!

U.S. Navy "We have Canon Balls"

6. W4AUT

7. W4AUT

Corrected my error!

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One of them, anyway.

9. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

If the Morse Code requirement had not been dropped, there would not be many hams today, and what would be left would die off soon with no one to talk to. There is no need for Morse Code today.

10. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, that's a pretty sweeping generalization there. I don't object to your opinion that there's no need for Morse Code, but that doesn't mean that it's not a useful tool in the toolbox.