MORSE CODE Still Viable After 175 Years

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W5BIB, May 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

with a 'R.E.O.' (Radio Electronics Officer) that is not required to be proficient in MORSE :eek::(

2. KZ4EX

KZ4EX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm, probably a dinosaur by most standards, but typing is still the slowest means of sending anything for me. took shop in high school. the girls took typing.
    Wish I learned to type. Great skill to have today, and my class mates sure would have been prettier. My how the time has passed.
    P.S. took me only 6 minutes to type this.

Have fun and gud DX to all!
    Will, KZ4EX

N2AMM and W5BIB like this.
  3. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

I always though CW had a "mystique" to it. Just the sound of two people conversing back and forth. It's like from another world... If you don't know CW, you can still tell there is a conversation happening, and you can't help but wonder what they are talking about. I think there will always be people who will be interested in this mode, and it will always be around.

W8ES likes this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

AW COME ON! THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER PEARL HARBOR... NEVER ANOTHER 9-11...
    WE WILL NEVER HAVE TO COMM WITHOUT THE AID OF SATTELITES.... NEVER NAV WITHOUT GPS... ALWAYS BE THAR...
    THE COMPUTERS AND INFRASTUCTURE OF CELL PHONES AND WI-FI WILL NEVER FAIL TO BE THERE FOR US EITHER...
    COMMON USE OF THESE RESOURCES BY EVERY RED CROSS CHAPTER DURING ANY RECENT DISASTER HAS PROVEN IT!
    NEVER AGAIN WILL ANYONE NEED TO SEND A MESSAGE BY SUCH AN ANTIQUATED MODE SUCH AS CW USING MORSE CODE
    TO GET A DISTRESS OR WELFARE MESSAGE THROUGH...
    EVERY MODERN MODE IS MORE RELIABLE AND SO UTTERLY FOOL-PROOF THAT OUR MIL HAS ABANDONED THE VERY
    MOST RELIABLE AND SIMPLE FORM OF COMMS, CW AND MORSE CODE, FOR USE WITH ANY TRANSMIT MODE AVAILABLE.
    THEY ALL KNOW WHAT'S BEST FOR EVERYONE SO THERE'S REALLY NO NEED TO BE CONCERNED OR PANIC.
    OR IS THERE?

SOME TONGUE IN CHEEK FODDER FOR YOUR THOUGHTS....
    HISTORY HAS A BAD HABIT OF REPEATING ITSELF BTW...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    W5BIB likes this.
  5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Murphy's Law" comes to mind ;)

M6GYU and N7BKV like this.
  6. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

You obviously have no idea what military communications systems are capable of doing today. You also don't know how modern military navigation is done. CW and Morse code are what they are, propping them up to be more than what they are is not helpful. There are very good reasons why military and commercial communications abandoned it. If you dispute this then take it up with them, not me.

As I pointed out back on page 1 of this thread we still do see Morse code used today, just not on CW. Again, there are very good reasons for this.

You might want to get that caps lock key fixed.

N2EY and M6GYU like this.
  7. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Guess u never read the last two lines OM.
    No one here looking for a fight, but sounds like you may.
    ALL CAPS WORK JUST FINE BTW. makes a point.
    Take a chill pill friend... nothing for u to get so defensive about. other threads to view.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  8. W4AUT

W4AUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Making C.W. a requirement for a license, is not about the code at all, BUT about the EFFORT put forth by the applicant to obtain a license and therefore, raising the value of said effort and license!!!

KG7WGX likes this.
  9. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I beg to differ. It's about much much more: the history of the practical use of electromagnetism; how various communication processes actually work; the willingness of someone entering or advancing
    in a scientific hobby to learn something (not really difficult, but definitely requiring learning) new.

I could go on. Before we learn physics in any appreciable depth, we study arithmetic, algebra and geometry. Many highly technical people get by without using any of those skills, but knowing them
    contributes to creative thinking and creative doing. Not to mention enjoyment.

10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee, I never did learn how to send CAPITALIZED code .