MORSE CODE Still Viable After 175 Years

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W5BIB, May 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wire chiefs have not been around since the old pole line days; position probably hasn't existed since the late 1950's. They keep records of pole lines, were responsible for dispatching linemen for repairs, etc.

retired CSX communications here.

2. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. N2OTG

N2OTG Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the most fascinating things to me about ham radio is its mixture of old and new. I appreciate that when I hook my AT&T Western Electric telegraph key (ca. 1918-1926) up to my SDR transceiver, for example. There is no reason why ham radio shouldn’t be a living museum AND a forum for experimentation and cutting-edge communications technology.

CW is not just another mode- it’s our language and tradition. It should be taught to present and future generations of hams.

N1OOQ, N4NYK and W5BIB like this.
  5. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

BZ = Not just a sparks then Steve - must have played with the flags too ;-)

6. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

CW is still used around here (Colorado) for station identification of the local police and fire VHF repeaters.
    I bet that very few people besides hams listening on scanners can decode the call signs.

"I'm not dead yet" - Monty Python.

7. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure that's FM modulated tones. Aviation navigation beacons also ID by Morse code, but that's with AM modulated tones. CW is distinct from MCW. I'll concede that Morse code is still used but the examples of modern use are by modulated tones on radio (A2A), sent by blinking lights, and other means that is not CW (A1A). The only modern use of CW that I have seen is on Amateur radio and on the few seaports in Africa and Asia that cannot afford to update their equipment because they can barely afford to feed themselves.

8. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point, they use a baseband (audio) CW signal to modulate the FM transmitter, not an on-off keyed VHF signal
    like hams typically use.

9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes indeed. As an experimental service, something like CW is necessary for, well, experimenting... How are you going to test your new 854467 GHz oscillator? Tap out a message in CW, or design and build some elaborate modulation circuit? Giving this up is essentially saying, "We're no longer an experimental service."

I actually don't have a problem with requiring some minimal competence in CW, regardless of treaties and whatnot, for the above reason. But whatever... The ship has sailed.

N2OTG and N7BKV like this.
  10. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Knowledge of the schematic symbols, band plans, and the phonetic alphabet are required. Why not some level of Morse? I'm not fixed on the idea. But some basics seem to be essential to radio craft. What amateur radio is is because there was a was. Not a bad thing to know, or do you say no? (Now we are talking like Dr Seuss.)