ad: M2Ant-1

Morse code shoes send toe tapping texts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K1LPI, Feb 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for joining us Mathieu.

Obviously radio amateurs are the sole radio service that commonly uses 'Morse Code'-- our numbers far exceed a million users on 'CW' worldwide. Thus our skepticism is born from our experience with CW in adverse propagation conditions, and so on. And we use it in unusual ways: for example, a mouthpiece born keying mechanism exists that frees up hands to actuate a trasnmitter during an emergency where hands are unavailable or unusable.

Why shoes?

We are well aware of communications in tough and dire working conditions, such as building collapses; fire; cave ins; tunnel blockage; and so on. Many hams are well aware of the attempts to find fire fighters after the Twin Tower collapses on 9/11. So we understand the need for a backup system.

Could you kindly articulate for us the circumstances where such shoes/CW would have unique benefits? For example, in a building collapse, failure to access a hand held radio would not be ameliorated by a shoe-based CW system, as the environment would definitely shield the signal, attenuate, and even detune the transmitter ,as it is shoe based. We would be grateful if you could provide info showing why this system works in these circumstances.

Many of us are indeed affiliated with the public safety community, and your response is helpful for us to give your device a fair sense of assessment, rather than the one we were led to by this press piece.

Merci!

Chip W1YW

W0PV likes this.
  2. INTELLINIUM

INTELLINIUM QRZ Member

Thanks for you reply Chip W1YW !

Why the shoes?

This innovation was born in 2014 after a worker was injured by agressive customer. Then, I was contacted by a big company in France who asked me to find an innovative solution to allow a worker to communicate to colleagues or employers without using hands and with total discretion while ensuing that the device was always worn by the worker (and if possible with better telecom coverage and penetration). After 6 months of systemic analysis, we came up to the conclusion that the shoes were the best places (always worn, discrete, can be used with toe foot or hands, 3D volume convenient for hardware...). In addition, it reduces electromagnetic exposition to the brain and other sensitive areas (chest, genital areas) which is a growing concern in Europe and I guess in US too where I have heard that some lawyers firm started on working on potential class actions against employers who ask employee to wear connected caps or hats.Last but not the least, energy harvesting is possible at a shoe level which will give us an advantage when technologies allow to get a few mA from walking or from sun or from kinetic movement. I would add that the shoe can make its own decision monitoring in real-time worker status. In case of possible issue, the shoe will try to "wake-up" the worker. If no ack is received, then an alert will be broadcast. I would add that we have also a 90 dB buzzer that can help to locate wounded person.

Our telecom paradigm and how it brings more penetration, coverage and reliability for emergency situation (industrial or public)
    The first very important thing to point out is that we use licensed (2G, 4G LTE-M1 & 4G-LTE-NB1 a.k.a NB-IoT) AND unlicensed frequencies (Bluetooth Low Energy version 5 a.k.a BLE).
    By doing this, not only we cover different wave frequencies (basically 800 MHz to 2.4 GHz) but we also cover different network topologies (LPWAN, BAN and LAN) including MESH/AD-HOC networks topologies.
    For instance, our shoes can mesh each others, meaning that they can create their own network(s) even on the moon or undergound (including in destroyed factory or buildings). Of course, BLE has some limits such as range (theory 400 m real-life 250 m) and water interference.
    In terms of LPWAN (Low-Power Wide Area Network), we cover all European telecom operators in a single chip called eSIM (let's imagine a phone with 1.000 SIM cards, it's what we get!). The benefit is that we can switch real-time from one network to another one to ensure that the have a link. Not only we cover and penetrate more due to that but we also use ALL protocols allowed by the GSMA standards. For instance, for 2G (phased out in US but still here in Europe), we use USSD, SMS,Data and Voice. By doing this, we increase our ability to send & receive. LTE-M1 and NB-IoT are also said to penetrate 10 times more than classical technologies.
    Last but not the least, the MORSE code is very interesting as it allows us to carry very small data packets while keeping message reliability which increases too the ability to reach another colleagues or organisation.
    By combining all that (technologies, topologies, protocols, code...), we can offer better performance that most of existing solutions. But of course, we are not magicians and we have also physical limits.

P.S: I am not sure whether this answer will be public. Do not hesitate to forward to board members to make it public.

W6SAE likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Mathieu,

I imagine if someone is grabbing your throat then you use your feet. I suggest leading with the 'knee' first, and then signalling with the shoes:)

Of course this is not ham radio, but it is an interesting application. I withdraw my earlier critique and wish you the best with the new product.

Chip W1YW

K8MHZ likes this.
  4. INTELLINIUM

INTELLINIUM QRZ Member

Critique is always positive :) !
    Well, we have many more cases about the shoes use cases. For instance, if your arms are broken or blocked. Another example is when you are in inspection and you have to use your 2 hands to grab something.
    Of course, needless to say that in most industrial environment, smartphones are not allowed or are just inefficient (high level of humidity, harsh telecom and noise environment, thick gloves used by workers...).

5. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Voice in loud environments-- How about throat or audionic mics with vox? Think motorcycles and aviation.

6. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

They call the devices 'thumpers'.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  7. KG7CSS

KG7CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Kind of reminds me I remember a lecture giving by one of the prisoners of the Hanoi Hilton on how they developed their own code so not to alert the guards. One way was to tap out a message with their shoes.

8. INTELLINIUM

INTELLINIUM QRZ Member

@N6SPP
    The problem is not to talk, the problem is to receive an audio signal when noise is around 130 dB...
    Industrial fields show that most workers do not react anymore to audio and visual signals either because environment is too noisy and/or due to cognitive saturation.
    For info, we were inspired by US Army scientific publication on this topic.

@K8MHZ
    Thanks for this reference. It is a market opportunity that I haven't thought about. :)
    "thumpers" is something close to what we have developed. But a "thumpers" is for magical tricks and does not establish an haptic bidirectional communication channel, meaning that it is often one-way communication.
    In addition, we propose "dictionaries" that match for each organisation "dash" & "dots" with more or less complex sentences. Those dictionaries can be wireless configured.
    We have also an algorithm to make sure that the message is well understood, transmitted and received by external third parties (colleagues, employer, first rescuers...).
    For instance, a worker in danger can send an alert and follow (1) if the message has been transmitted (2) if the message has been received and (3) if the message has been acknowledged by someone.
    In case of extreme situation, knowing that someone is aware of your situation can help you in facing the situation and survive.
    If you are unconscious, the shoes will try to wake up with vibrations you and if it fails, the shoe will send its own sequence on-behalf of you.

@KG7CSS
    There are a lot of indirect way to communicate to bypass someone listening to you. In our case, we are really dedicated to protect and to save workers' lives.

9. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

If somebody's grabbing your throat, I'd strongly suggest playing "football" -- your foot and his, well you know.

10. AE4TJ

AE4TJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would love to get in on this discussion... But I'm running bare foot!

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, another way of saying 'the KNEE' :)

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2018-3-18_10-6-16.jpeg

N5VAF likes this.
  13. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

Or try the "Stooge Salute" popularized by the Three Stooges.

If executed even reasonably good, (s)he will really be hurtin'.

Also great for women with LONG FINGER NAILS!!!

W1YW likes this.
  14. N5VAF

N5VAF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

no will send faster than Gregory Hines...

15. N5VAF

N5VAF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No matter what happens my toes are still tapping...