Morse Code Requirement - Status???

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by kg4ysr, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

When I get back up to speed 30 will be too slow. Is there a reason that they limit the speed there? I would think higher speed would make for more efficient operation.

2. PE1RDW

PE1RDW Ham Member QRZ Page

it's not a limit in operation, just in IDing, they probably feel that an average person has to be able to decode it realtime, not a lot of highspeed manual CW can be decoded with a software decoder so a monitor would have to play back the recording at reduced speed to figure out who it was.

3. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Yep. I remember reading some years ago that in the UK operating speed wasn't regulated but that IDing had to be no more than 20 wpm. I believe here in the US repeater IDs are now required to be no more than 20 also.

4. KC9GUZ

KC9GUZ QRZ Member

Our local repeater is set for 5 WPM ID.. I dont know why but thats the way our club wanted it.

Gives a slow coder like me a chance to recognise the characters!![​IMG]

5. K9LRW

K9LRW Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought this ought to be posted here, just in case anyone missed it.

7. kd5rpo

kd5rpo Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] I thought you were going to say Kevin Eubanks [​IMG] [​IMG] Jay Leno's band leader. [​IMG]

8. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

BRL, a little lonely out there on the tundra is oblast 51? !

9. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that's a little ridiculous. Seems to me 13wpm is a good halfway point. Not so slow as to start hating the ID and not so fast as to make it uncopyable for the newbs.

10. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I used to be able to tell which repeater I was hearing by the sound of the "courtesy beep" indicating the timers had been reset. I haven't been on a repeater for years, now. Is it any different?

I remember that guys would just talk right on top of the CW id if it rambled on too long. No, I sure can't see a reason for it going any slower than just under the maximum allowed by the FCC.

73, Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.