Morse Code Requirement - Status???

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by kg4ysr, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. kg4ysr

kg4ysr Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wondering if there is any news out about the status of the FCC's ruling on the Morse Code requirement for General Class???

2. W4SE

W4SE Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope . Are you learning CW or are you waiting for it to be removed . Because a lot of techs are waiting for it to be removed . But the fact is , is that it could take them days or it may take a couple years to decide . Who knows they may decide to never remove the code (God I wish) So, why not just learn it and go ahead and move up the ladder .I am saying this because I think you could miss out on some things by waiting . If you are waiting . 73,Sam                                              Man I hope this doesn't turn into another long debate [​IMG]

3. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, I turn blue when I hold my breath like that. How does he do it? [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is supposed to be a done deal. The FCC has stated that they wanted to drop the code req. even back before the ITU ruling. It should happen this year and even any day now.

FCC - Stop dragging yer feet

5. W4SE

W4SE Ham Member QRZ Page

YSR : As soon as there is something official . You will not have to ask . Someone will post it here as soon as it is known I am sure .

6. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

The status is that you still need to pass the 5 WPM test to become a General or Extra.

Several people have given you their "best guess" as to when it might happen and it is just that, a guess.

Here is a list of FCC Commissioners:

Kevin J. Martin
    Chairman

Michael J. Copps
    Commissioner

Jonathan S. Adelstein
    Commissioner

Deborah Taylor Tate
    Commissioner

Unless the answer is from one of these people or in a press release from the FCC, the person answering the question is only guessing and really does not have the slightest idea as to when the FCC will make their decision. You will note that Woodbury M Parr W2BBQ is NOT on this list so how can he possibly know when it will happen?

As others have said, you will not need to ask when it happens since it will be all over qrz.com, eHam, the ARRL website, the SPAR-ham website and a few dozen others.

While you wait for who knows how long for the FCC to give you a free handout, I will be on the air making contacts. Your choice!

Scott NØIU

7. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I can't believe that this question keeps popping up on a regular basis here on the board. It seems like a monthly occurance. And each time it happens, another round of "code/no code" uglyness breaks out.

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DO IT ? ? ? [​IMG]

8. mcjim555

mcjim555 Banned

Why can't we just ignore it ?, if they don't want to learn it, they will never be able to enjoy it. It's thier loss, just a thought. 73 Jim [​IMG]

9. KD5NCO

KD5NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well you could simply look at your post count AG3Y, and then that of the original poster and come to accept that every day there are new entry level Amateurs that do not know that a pro code testing / anti code testing controversy even exists...

Many have simply heard that there was a pretty good web site for Amateurs and also heard that the FCC was considering dropping the code.

There, you may have indeed "learned something" today.... on the other hand I guess not... you have made similar observation(s) several times in the last three years

And I might note that as a member of S.P.A.R., you have, on occasion, contributed to the "code/no code" UGLyNESS

So have I, and so what, it is still a topic worthy of debate.

Pity that no reasonable debate can occur here on the Que "R" Zed because of over large base of very closed minded folks.

Thanks for adding to the few here that will make a back handed slam at a new Amateur for simply asking, probably, an Innocent and Sincere question.

10. WJ5O

WJ5O Ham Member QRZ Page

Even when the code requirement is dropped there will still be a need for knowing Morse code....... 99.9% of the propagation beacons ID with Morse code.... plus many repeaters still ID with a CW message......  A person that can't copy code will be handicapped as a radio operator...... How are they to know which direction the band is open? ....... Which repeater they just "hit"....... Code is going to be around for a while.... Guys & Gals..... it's not that difficult. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.