ad: cq2k-1

Morse Code Eliminated by FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NY1T

NY1T Ham Member QRZ Page

Licenses will be next. Not that I have any problem with the removal of the code requirement, I just think it should be replaced with some other skill. But with the teaching the test, there is no reason to have a test.
    I work at a place that requires a GROL. I know people with their GROL that don't know what Ohms law is. One guy missed the test by one question and wanted to sue the examiner because of how he interpreted their rules, he should have passed. Galen

2. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[/QUOTE] Yeah, and they are called "Cell phones" [​IMG]

3. KB4YKJ

KB4YKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here comes all the crying and tear jerking about the demise of ham radio. I lived through the crying when code dropped from 13wpm to 5, then I lived through the crying when the first no code license arrived and surprise, surprise we have survived and so has ham radio. Morse code has been holding back many qualified operators. Some literally cannot comprehend it, others refused to study for something they would never use. I took 5wpm in 1971, then took 13wpm in 1973, then took 5wpm in 1986 to get another license since I let my first one lapse past the grace period. Except for the 3 times I used code to pass a test I have never used code while operating on a radio because I had no desire to.

I do wish they had kept it in force for the Extra license but that is all in the past now. Next we see who acts like the new no code licensees are inferior.

4. W5TLV

W5TLV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it seems that it's all getting back to the way it used to be afterall.. Years of band and privilege changes and nothing has really changed. Since the tech amateur now has the same operating privileges as the tech plus amateur, why not finish the job and merge the advanced class operators with the extra class operators [​IMG]?? This will complete the cycle !!! Advanced class amateurs have earned an upgrade too.

W5TLV

5. K6CS

K6CS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, now somebody clue me in here....
    I've passed my written General 2 months ago & am 3/4 way thru on doing my 5 wpm code. Am I now just wasting my time trying to do the CW test? Do I need to re-do a new General written? Should I just start studying for my extra? I'm confused now.....
    I did want to pass the 5 wpm just so no one can whine my ticket was handed to me. And besides, what if someday I get in a bad accident & not able to speak or write to communicate but can tap out CW?

73, Charlie KE6OUD
    (Merry Christmas to all!)

6. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Such optimisim!!!!!!!

Now the crybabies come out.

Cant you get over change?

7. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Come on guys, the fat lady has sung....

8. KB4YKJ

KB4YKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You are now a full fledged General as soon as it is published in the federal register which normally 30 days. If you wish to learn it for the personal satisfaction you can because there are still bands alloted to code. All of the no code Techs just become equal to tech plus and can now talk 28.300-28.500 legally. Enjoy.

9. W4HLK

W4HLK Ham Member QRZ Page

This is inconceivable. How could they just sneak this in under the radar? I know there are a lot of people out there that that will make great hams, but they have just opened up Pandora’s box. How can they do this? It’s like taking down the gate. The gate was flimsy and could be easy over run, but it was a gate. This we knew was coming but they sneaked it in the dark of night under the reveling few that made general and were proud of it. Now the legions come to undermine the miniscule efforts of the few that did try 5Wpm. So here we stand at the end of amateur radio. In the years coming they will say “It’s out of control we should give the frequency to the commercial services.”

How could they do this to us???
    [​IMG]

10. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve! NO!!  Give it to me, i still like ham radio...I think we'll be fine. i only hear nastiness from old extras and advanced people on SSB for the last 25 years of my hobby experience...so i usually hang out on CW and rarely hear any nastiness there.

CW is not going away, nothing will change, i dont believe its the agenda of new hams to take a test to destroy ham radio...i just dont think it will be the end of the world. People in general will change as human beings and become less considerate and courteous, its people...not a hobby.

I agree with the earlier post...get ready for a LOOOOONG thread of emotional outpouring.

I think the last 15 years of this debate has hurt us more than the subject itself...we look like a bunch of whiny sissies arguing about something that wont harm us physically or financially...its a hobby, a hobby i love, but its still just a hobby.  aaah, you guys dont care, let the brutal attacks and hatred continue.

Anyway, nice to see you, Steve.

73...Adam, N7YA

11. KD5SCF

KD5SCF Ham Member QRZ Page

10 meter band is gonna get busy...lol! And testing locations are going to have to find a few more chairs!

Time to break out those titanium umbrellas...the sky is falling...bigtime!

12. NA0D

NA0D Ham Member QRZ Page

OH BOO HOO! Get over yourself....

13. K0CBA

K0CBA Ham Member QRZ Page

5 wpm WAS NO CODE!!
    But it looks like whinning, crying, yelling "gimme, gimme, gimme" has finally paid off.    The no gumption pus heads 1, ham radio 0.

14. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, maybe it would help if i had actually hit the "quote" button so you guys know what im saying....

15. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not quite.

The rules won't take effect for maybe 60 days. If you really want to pass the code, do it now. You will be one of the last "code tested" amateurs in the US.

If you don't want to take the code, wait until the new rules kick in. Then take your CSCE to a VE session, and turn it in for a general ticket.

You WILL NOT automatically become a general. You have to make the move AFTER the rule change, or take the code test between now and then.

Either way, good luck.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.