ad: SDRKits-1

Morse Code Eliminated by FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's "clique", by the way. And yes, the HF bands are full of cliques -- especially on phone. So what...

Find and do what's enjoyable and educational for you and your friends, or you could "pound brass" like some of us who happen to find it an enjoyable pastime.

Either way, the galaxies, or factions within ham radio, will continue to move farther apart at, or near, the speed of light. That's the way of things.

2. NL7W

Roger that...

3. NL7W

Some thoughts and sayings:

Have no fear, Underdog is here!  Have no fear, the cereal boxtop licensee(s) are here...

Where is "here", if you do not already know?  Well, it's the HF bands, Silly!

See you at the bottom end of twenty, eh?  Galaxies apart...  

God's been good to us by allowing so much bandwidth and diversity on the ham bands. Thank you, Lord!

4. NL7W

Harrassment is a sign of secret admiration and true love for your fellow man. [​IMG]

5. N2MMM

N2MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

NL7W:
    I welcome your wit and humor and look forward to hearing from you in Alaska on 20m CW

6. KB3OJG

KB3OJG Ham Member QRZ Page

You hit it RIGHT on the head, my friend! It makes perfect sense, too: it's all about "status", in the lowest, stupidest possible way. The people bleating about this decision aren't concerned about the condition of the bands, or they'd be doing more self-policing of the Whackjobs down on 75 m. It's also really classy to see these Pro-code people talking about how they're going to "interfere" in other people's contacts. Real classy, there, Bubba. So the ones who are most concerned about Ham radio being turned into "chickenband" are going to protest it by doing what? KEYING OVER people and screwing with people on the basis of what amounts to a petty feud. That's just wonderful.

Face it: the thing that scalds these OT's about this decision is that it threatens their self-image. They have a "status fetish" -- a fixation that says "Hey, I passed a special secret government-administered test, and now I get to play with all kinds of neato radio stuff! I am WAY superior to average Joe Schmuck!"
    And to them, "CW" was/is the "secret handshake" -- that's why the fetishization of acronyms from CW (like 73 for example.) It was something that made them feel "special", because let's face it -- there's a lot of people out there who probably know more than your average Extra as far as THEORY goes. The fact that other services abandoned Morse Code only made it even MORE special to them -- because in their minds, it made Ham Radio (their special secret clubhouse-of-the-airwaves) even more exotic!

And sorry, I don't buy the whole "I admire people who do EME" thing, because it's totally off-topic. EME was never a REQUIREMENT of licensing, other than maybe a few questions.

The resentment of many No-coders toward CW (and it's advocates) is pretty solidly understandable. A lot of them probably COULD have passed the 5 WPM, but declined to do so, on principle -- because doing so would have been a capitulation to what they saw as an arbitrary and unjust aspect of licensing.

Let's be honest: other countries have ditched the CW requirement for HF. Can anybody actually point to a measurable degradation in the quality of HF operations originating from hams in those countries? No? Didn't think so.

Ah well -- I gotta get an HF rig now (if for no other reason than to hear disgruntled OT's keying up over the new "no-code" generals!) hehehe -- it's gonna be fun! [​IMG]

7. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats why I hope NCT's not only upgrade, but when they do, make sure they have that echolink enhanced PC sitting there too, with a soundcard recording program handy.

Then not only can they record LIDS of any licence class causing QRM, they can post the clips on QRZ and then the "but I didn't do that!" screaming can begin.

You know its going to happen....

8. NL7W

dit... dit... did-dit... dit...... dit... dit.

9. K4JF

K4JF Ham Member QRZ Page

THAT... is about the weirdest thing I've seen on here! Gosh, the imagination some people have!!!

10. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE

Izznt that somthin how he knows ALLLL about
    us?

I have to look in the closets and spare room constantly, because obviously he sneaks in here somehow and observes everything in here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.