ad: elecraft

Morse Code Dropped in VK - Media Release

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by vk4kss, Nov 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

svd:
    Looks like your ticket is about to expire and.....you are one month older than I. All that additional life's experience you have!

2. KG4CGC

KG4CGC Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wa9svd @ Jan. 13 2004,15:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[​IMG]0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG4CGC @ Jan. 14 2004,13[​IMG]0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes...they are rather spendy. So what is the difference between SSB & FM simplex on 2 meters?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well...  Think about it.  In it's basic form, FM requires an oscillator, modulated at an audio rate.  SSB requires a balanced modulator circuit, (for both transmit and receive,) mixers,  and filters in addition, to operate properly and efficiently.  And the more narrow bandwidth of SSB vs. FM means the power is more efficiently used.
       So yes, multimode radios WILL be more expensive, because technically, more circuitry is involved.  But the range for VHF SSB will be considerably greater than that provided by FM.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, for some reason it says that is my quote but it isn't.
    Anyway, I think 2m SSB is a real challenge that I would like to explore further. It's fun to learn as you go.
    70cm SSB will be next but it's not at the top of the list yet. 6m SSB, done that. It was fun but the contacts were always very short lived, like 10 seconds. At least I learned that my simple set up got through the pile ups and yes I was courteous and did not speak till the other operator was completely done. Just as I would expect from my fellow Hams. Well, if they were trying to talk over me I would have never of known.
    Guess I should try even harder to learn Morse code by ear. Weak signal sounds like it would be fun too.

3. N0OV

N0OV Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc7jty @ Jan. 13 2004,11:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[​IMG]7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC0LNU @ Jan. 13 2004,16[​IMG]7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">help those who took the test use what they tested on may be a good idea.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Not looking for any flames here but I seriously think that the clear majority of those who passed the 5 wpm test will drop that skill like a hot potato on a July afternoon.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yep -- I was one of them [​IMG]

I've also been talking with a few folks who use CW on a frequent basis. Starting to regret not hooking up a key when I had the knowledge fresh.

Hate doing rework.

4. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC0LNU @ Jan. 15 2004,10:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yep -- I was one of them  <!--emo&[​IMG]

I've also been talking with a few folks who use CW on a frequent basis.  Starting to regret not hooking up a key when I had the knowledge fresh.

Hate doing rework.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Si Señor, (had to do that.....I'm on the Spanish keybord). Ditto on doing rework. From what I've heard CW is the best & most rewarding aspect of amateur radio. (god help you if you aren't the typical American piece of soft clay and are fully aware of your likes and dislikes ahead of time).
    I personally like real time verbal exchange on SSB. Especially when its a topic that excites me. You don't even have to worry about spelling.

5. ZL1BT

ZL1BT Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb6ssn @ Nov. 18 2003,01[​IMG]3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WOW! What great news! I can't wait to hear an Australian 12 year old yelling BREAKER BREAKER in the microphone on 20 Meters! This will certainly save the hobby! Just like CB saved truck driving! ROTFLMAO!!!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Excuse me, are you having a go at the twelve year old, or the CB (pirate) community? Seems you know the terminology well...

6. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ZL1BT @ Jan. 16 2004,00:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb6ssn @ Nov. 18 2003,01<!--emo&[​IMG])</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WOW! What great news! I can't wait to hear an Australian 12 year old yelling BREAKER BREAKER in the microphone on 20 Meters! This will certainly save the hobby! Just like CB saved truck driving! ROTFLMAO!!!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Excuse me, are you having a go at the twelve year old, or the CB (pirate) community? Seems you know the terminology well...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ZL1BT:
    I think you better E mail kb6ssn if you can. This thread is rather stale and his post was on Nov 18.
    Cheers & Beers kc7jty

7. K3DAV

K3DAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just goes to show how long this pathetic thread has been going on. Why won't someone just put a silver bullit it it? [​IMG]

8. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K3DAV @ Jan. 16 2004,20:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just goes to show how long this pathetic thread has been going on.  Why won't someone just put a silver bullit it it? [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ah come on Dave. We're headed to 1000.

9. N0KLU

N0KLU Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc7jty @ Jan. 13 2004,11:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does anyone think the FCC bringing back the 13 & 20 wpm requirements would be a good idea? After all it would help keep out the riff raff. Grunt....grunt.....baaah. This old Harley won't start.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ahh, sounds like you have a rolls kinharley!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. K3DAV

K3DAV Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc7jty @ Jan. 17 2004,1400)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K3DAV @ Jan. 16 2004,20:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just goes to show how long this pathetic thread has been going on.  Why won't someone just put a silver bullit it it? <!--emo&[​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ah come on Dave. We're headed to 1000.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oooooooh Nooooo [​IMG]

[​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

11. N0KLU

12. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

So did the ARRL petition the FCC about code requirements yet or is it in the works? What is the petition # if they did? I'd like to comment.

13. KG4CGC

KG4CGC Ham Member QRZ Page

14. N0KLU

735; Do we hear a 736?
    going once, going twice.....

Sold! to the ARRL!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.