ad: Radclub22-1

Morse Code Dropped in VK - Media Release

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by vk4kss, Nov 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3DAV

K3DAV Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K6UEY @ Jan. 05 2004,05:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">K3DAV,
    Good job Dave I think that is about the most intelligent thing you have posted all week  [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well thanks Orv. I'm sure your kind words were intended as nothing short of a high compliment. [​IMG]

What the heck, Orv. Opinions aside. If we can't poke a little fun, what good are we? Right? Look at it this way. The FCC probably looks at both of us as whinning little pissants. [​IMG]

2. N0OV

N0OV Guest

Hey -- anyone thought to take a pole of the folks where the code testing was eliminated to see how many operators their are and how many are actually using CW?

Would be an interesting baseline -- way to measure the impact of this decision in a year or too.

3. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC0LNU @ Jan. 08 2004,09:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey -- anyone thought to take a pole of the folks where the code testing was eliminated to see how many operators their are and how many are actually using CW?

Would be an interesting baseline -- way to measure the impact of this decision in a year or too.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Seems to me it would be too early to tell now. I don't think there are very many english speaking foreign ops checking QRZ regularly either. Might be interesting to see though.

Looks like this thread is doing the slow fizz. We ain gonna make 1000 if this keeps up.

4. N0OV

N0OV Guest

Well, I can do my part to add another post.

Taking a sample of operators now would create a baseline -- snapshot in time that could be used to compare one, two, ten years down the road.

Just a thought.

5. KB8NDS

KB8NDS Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC0LNU @ Jan. 08 2004,15:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, I can do my part to add another post.

Taking a sample of operators now would create a baseline -- snapshot in time that could be used to compare one, two, ten years down the road.

Just a thought.

73[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh, OK. Now I got what you're saying. Start a new thread and see what happens.

7. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

Does anyone think the FCC bringing back the 13 & 20 wpm requirements would be a good idea? After all it would help keep out the riff raff. Grunt....grunt.....baaah. This old Harley won't start.

8. N0OV

N0OV Guest

Nope.  

However, helping some folks set up code rigs over 2m on a simplex band or starting a few slow code exercises to help those who took the test use what they tested on may be a good idea.

Little Elmering can go along way.

It's not about testing -- it's about using the skills you were tested on! [​IMG]

(My contribution towards 1000)

9. KG4CGC

KG4CGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I for one would like to hear SOMETHING, on 2m
    simplex whether it be CW or SSB. Yes, there is a very nice group of gentlemen that gather on 147.420 FM every night. I've had one SSB contact in 3 years on 144.200 during a contest. Never however, have I heard CW on 2m. I monitor regularly but not as much as I used to. Not on at the right times I suppose. Not to mention that more people need an all-mode rig at an affordable price. I put out some serious coin for mine.
    We all know the story about the FT-100. Yaesu pulled a Bill Gates on us (me anyway) when they put that radio on the market. Guess that's what happens when the guys in marketing tell the engineers to hurry the _ _ _ _
    up. I had to do the thermal mod and the high SWR mod that was caused by improper interior grounding that caused oscillations that fooled the radio into thinking the antenna was mismatched on 440.
    And to those who care, yes, I only operate in my band priviledges for my license class but it's nice to be able to listen anywhere with a rig that pulls signals out of the air on almost no antenna if that's what you are limited to. On a full antenna it is truly unbelievable and the noise floor is so low I can't say enough about it.
    Kenwood and Icom also make fine radios. I'm investigating the 746PRO right now. I want to make sure I don't buy another radio that's still in beta.
    Yes I'm off topic but who do you know that uses CW on VHF simplex that is local to you?
    73 de KG4CGC, Charles [​IMG]

10. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC0LNU @ Jan. 13 2004,16:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">help those who took the test use what they tested on may be a good idea.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Not looking for any flames here but I seriously think that the clear majority of those who passed the 5 wpm test will drop that skill like a hot potato on a July afternoon.

11. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG4CGC @ Jan. 14 2004,02:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not to mention that more people need an all-mode rig at an affordable price. I put out some serious coin for mine.
     [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes...they are rather spendy. So what is the difference between SSB & FM simplex on 2 meters? (Please don't even think I'm meaning operationally). Aren't they both going to be the same 2 meter BORES?

12. KG4CGC

KG4CGC Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc7jty @ Jan. 13 2004,11:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG4CGC @ Jan. 14 2004,02:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not to mention that more people need an all-mode rig at an affordable price. I put out some serious coin for mine.
     [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes...they are rather spendy. So what is the difference between SSB & FM simplex on 2 meters? (Please don't even think I'm meaning operationally). Aren't they both going to be the same 2 meter BORES?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It was mentioned here on another subject, it is a different world on SSB. A different breed so to speak. I don't believe the frequency being used makes it a bore. I can hear the same boring cussing and arguing on 75m nearly everynight. Is that due to the frequency or the people?

13. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG4CGC @ Jan. 14 2004,13:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes...they are rather spendy. So what is the difference between SSB & FM simplex on 2 meters?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well... Think about it. In it's basic form, FM requires an oscillator, modulated at an audio rate. SSB requires a balanced modulator circuit, (for both transmit and receive,) mixers, and filters in addition, to operate properly and efficiently. And the more narrow bandwidth of SSB vs. FM means the power is more efficiently used.
    So yes, multimode radios WILL be more expensive, because technically, more circuitry is involved. But the range for VHF SSB will be considerably greater than that provided by FM.

14. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG4CGC @ Jan. 14 2004,13:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It was mentioned here on another subject, it is a different world on SSB. A different breed so to speak. I don't believe the frequency being used makes it a bore. I can hear the same boring cussing and arguing on 75m nearly everynight. Is that due to the frequency or the people?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh yeah....It used to be that way on CB. Now the goons and dim bulbs are on SSB as well. What appeals to one person may be the bain of the other as far as frequency or people go.
    Then again if there are no SSB signals on 2 meters to speak of it certainly wouldn't justify the price of a multi mode rig.

15. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wa9svd @ Jan. 14 2004,14:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well...  Think about it.  In it's basic form, FM requires an oscillator, modulated at an audio rate.  SSB requires a balanced modulator circuit, (for both transmit and receive,) mixers,  and filters in addition, to operate properly and efficiently.  And the more narrow bandwidth of SSB vs. FM means the power is more efficiently used.
       So yes, multimode radios WILL be more expensive, because technically, more circuitry is involved.  But the range for VHF SSB will be considerably greater than that provided by FM.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    My SSB CB radio model is currently selling for about $150. Too bad I can't convert it to 2 meters. I absolutely love SSB. Never thought of putting out the $$$ to get a nice 6/2/440 SSB rig only to find that just like the 2 meter/440 FM radios I have, they will hardly ever get used any more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.