ad: ProAudio-1

Morse Code Dropped in VK - Media Release

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by vk4kss, Nov 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

It is 36 hours since the morse requirement was dropped in Australia allowing no-code licences onto hf.

The world has not ended. The sun has risen twice, on time even.

What has happened is bands that have been very quiet now have life on them. Some may not be be famillar with the non standard phonetics that get used on hf or frequency uses that are not listed on the band plans. This knoweldge will come with experience.

2. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vk4xjb @ Jan. 01 2004,17:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Some may not be be famillar with the non standard phonetics that get used on hf[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You make it sound like a requirement! Don't cotton to it. Use the standard phoenetics. Put the wrench into their machinery.
    The purpose of phoenetics is to lessen the misunderstanding of letters said verbally, not to be hip.

3. VK4XJB

I am not saying knowing the non standard phonetics should be a requirement but it does seem to help being famillar with what people use so I don't have to think about what they are saying.

Had problems last night copying a callsign as I was looking for normal phonetics or the actuall letters. Initally all I got was T (Texas).

I use vk4 xray juliet bravo though a friend likes vk4 xtra jelly bean.

4. N0KLU

N0KLU Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vk4xjb @ Jan. 02 2004,17:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am not saying knowing the non standard phonetics should be a requirement but it does seem to help being familiar with what people use so I don't have to think about what they are saying.

Had problems last night copying a call sign as I was looking for normal phonetics or the actual letters. Initially all I got was T (Texas).

I use vk4 xray Juliet bravo though a friend likes vk4 xray jelly bean.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I got an idea, lets make the phonetics debate the new "filter" since the code will be going away.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vk4xjb @ Jan. 02 2004,15:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Had problems last night copying a callsign as I was looking for normal phonetics or the actuall letters. Initally all I got was T (Texas).

I use vk4 xray juliet bravo though a friend likes vk4 xtra jelly bean.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The whole thing is pretty darn goofy if you ask me. Like some of the goofyness on American CB radio.
    If the phoenetics used are myriad and everchanging you will never become familiar with them anyway.
    The "extra jelly bean" would be OK among friends but quite strange used on DX with a new contact.

When you contact state side tell em you're a no coder right up front.....see what kind of response you get.
    Ha ha Bill

6. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n0klu @ Jan. 03 2004,09:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vk4xjb @ Jan. 02 2004,17:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am not saying knowing the non standard phonetics should be a requirement but it does seem to help being familiar with what people use so I don't have to think about what they are saying.

Had problems last night copying a call sign as I was looking for normal phonetics or the actual letters. Initially all I got was T (Texas).

I use vk4 xray Juliet bravo though a friend likes vk4 xray jelly bean.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I got an idea, lets make the phonetics debate the new "filter" since the code will be going away.

[​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Sounds like that might be a "plan".

7. VK4XJB

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc7jty @ Jan. 04 2004,04:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
     The "extra jelly bean" would be OK among friends but quite strange used on DX with a new contact.

When you contact state side tell em you're a no coder right up front.....see what kind of response you get.
                                                          Ha ha    Bill[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The extra jelly bean bit if it gets used is only by 1 person. I see no need to confuse the issue. My call is not always the easiest to get across. At times the accepted phonetics is the easiest way.

As for the second bit, if this board is representitive of amateurs in the states I would expect the contact to be terminated with extreme predudice. Though from the the few I have spoken to on 29MHz fm over the last few years I would like to think this is not the case. I have mentioned before that I never bothered with taking a test when I was using morse and have not had a problem. But that was not on 40 or 20m.

This gets me thinking of another question, why do people get upset and end a conversation when they receive a genuine say 43 signal report instead of the 59 they wanted? What is so magic about 59 that anything else is an insult?

8. KB8NDS

KB8NDS Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K3DAV

K3DAV Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vk4xjb @ Jan. 01 2004,20:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It is 36 hours since the morse requirement was dropped in Australia allowing no-code licences onto hf.

The world has not ended. The sun has risen twice, on time even.

What has happened is bands that have been very quiet now have life on them. Some may not be be famillar with the non standard phonetics that get used on hf or frequency uses that are not listed on the band plans. This knoweldge will come with experience.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    And that's just how it will be everywhere.

Congrats to all the new HF op's in VK land.

10. K3DAV

Well I guess I am 700.

King me. [​IMG]

11. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Some one Crown him put a LID on him ..... [​IMG]

12. K3DAV

Ohhhh that was funny. I can't stop laugh.....That was soooooo clever. My sides are busting........you are so brilliant to come up with.........ooooohhhh please stop...your wit is undisputed........I'm laughing soooooo hard, I'm going to p..... [​IMG]

13. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

K3DAV,
    Good job Dave I think that is about the most intelligent thing you have posted all week [​IMG]

14. KB8NDS

KB8NDS Ham Member QRZ Page

15. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vk4xjb @ Jan. 03 2004,13:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As for the second bit, if this board is representitive of amateurs in the states I would expect the contact to be terminated with extreme predudice. Though from the the few I have spoken to on 29MHz fm over the last few years I would like to think this is not the case.

This gets me thinking of another question, why do people get upset and end a conversation when they receive a genuine say 43 signal report instead of the 59 they wanted? What is so magic about 59 that anything else is an insult?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    One man's ceiling is another man's floor. If someone terminates you for the reasons above consider it a few seconds saved because you didn't have to terminate them....or worse yet, because you chose to be courteous and continued the contact with the pin head.
    Set your own standards. You will find those who agree with them. Then you WILL have a worthwile contact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.