Morse Code Conversation (2011)

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W5BIB, Dec 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve, how come you managed to get the link to display your comments - which considerably add to the write up, but mine shows only the fact that you commented? (I'll include them in main body eventually).

2. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

What I think is cool about the vid is when starting out 18 months or so ago randomly I thought it was impossible to decode; too fast, etc.
    I just watch it again and the sender decode is easy headcopy for me. The OP on the other end is still a bit fast for me. I'll have to watch it again in a year or so and see if I have improved.

Funniest Youtube comment was something like: "If you are deaf this is a vid of an OM reading the newspaper". :)

KC8QVO, W5BIB and M6GYU like this.
  3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know David ! - When I clicked on "NATO Naval Communications Competition", (the URL link that you posted),... doesn't contain the full text of your "Blog page")

When I "searched" NATO Naval Communications Competition, one of the first choices that comes-up is your "David Perry's Logbook "which is complete with all comments o_O weird...

This is what shows-up when I search "NATO Naval Communication Competition":
    https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=N...ition&fr=yfp-t&fp=1&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

When you click on the above URL, the "David Perry's Logbook" is the second choice listed & contains the full content.

Maybe you need to update the information you initially provided Wikipedia ? (Before my comments to your Blog)? - dunno... :cool:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  4. W5BIB

The other op (WB0SND - an EXCELLENT operator) was operating with a Keyer & NOT leaving much space between thoughts and/or words. I imagine that operating CW Mobile (while cruising @ 70mph) could tend to make you transmit rather hurriedly.

On the other hand,... I was using a Straight Key & sitting still in my M/H, & didn't have to divide my attention between highway traffic & holding a conversation in Morse code ;)

I've always preferred a Straight Key or Bug for my sending due to the fact some "personality" is attainable.

It's amazing what a difference spacing (between words/subjects) can have. - A couple of BTs here & there can make a world of difference in the ease of copy.
    I even use a "stretched-out" BT (Dahhhh dididit Dahhhh) often, to give my wrist a little break & give the other operator a little mental break before changing subjects.

One of my favorite YouTube comments was: "He's reading the paper and it's upside down !!" - duh... :rolleyes:
    I was using the margin of the paper to make little notes on about our QSO (his rig, age, wx, etc.) so I'd know what to comment on when I went back to him.

BTW: the "Key" was a Chinese Military K-4 - I said J-44 simply because I had a brain-fart for a second when it came to spelling out "Chinese Military Straight Key" - I do have AND use a J-44 & it's much less confusing to the receiving operator to: Keep It Simple Stupid. At the last second, I couldn't remember if it was a K-4 or a K-5, so I just blurted out J-44. ;)

I too missed a few characters here & there during the QSO,... some due to QSB & some due to spacing, & SOME, due to my own distractions in the M/H. so, don't feel alone :D

I can send Morse AND listen to what someone talking is asking/telling me, but, if I try to answer... It screws-up my timing & I lose my train-of-thought.

SK
    dit dit

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    N7BKV and M6GYU like this.
  5. W5BIB

DANG ! Now 1,136,009 views... :eek: (as of 0400z 23 Dec. 2019)
    I think we'll make another video using a combination keyboard, straight key, AND a bug in the same QSO :D

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    AC8UN and N7BKV like this.
  6. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve-

I first watched this as I was studying for my tech license. It was a great inspiration. It became a training staple for me.

And I still find you out on RBN. Chased you many times. But no joy. Don't know what it is with our signal path. Maybe someday we will connect.

Brian N
    N7BKV

W5BIB likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm just honored to have W5BIB in my log four times, on four different rigs, including a Heathkit DX-20 that he donated to my Heathkit cause - which I still have in "the Novice Corner" :)

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2019-12-22_20-29-17.png

W5BIB likes this.
  8. W5BIB

Thanks for the "Flowers" Brian, I'm happy that the video inspired you.

I'll start looking for your call spotted on RBN & see if we can connect some time. I'm only running about 25 watts to a 40m OCF dipole up about 20ft.

I think that 30m around 2200-2300z we should be able to connect. I'm usually around 10123 khz (+/-).

dit dit :D

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I must admit I watched your video at least twice before seeing it on this post. A great study in remaining calm while copying. I still get perturbed by a lost character which then results in a lost word! My goal is to remain relaxed as you appear to be and reduce my lost words.

Great bio also!

W5BIB likes this.
  10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here. I knew it was @W5BIB, 'cuz he sent his callsign.
    Steve's fist is quite good... nearly perfect (and fast enough to not be boring).

W5BIB likes this.