Morse Code Conversation (2011)

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W5BIB, Dec 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm very proud of this YouTube video posted 8.5 years ago by my long-time friend (NT9L / John).
    John & I served with the U.S. Naval Security Group (NSA/CSS) back in 1964-72.

He came down to the Alabama Gulf-Coast in 2011 for a visit. We traveled in my olde 1994 Winnebago Brave (30ft) along the Alabama / Florida Gulf Coast operating CW from various positions along the coast.

One day,... he filmed me while I was having a QSO with WB0SND/M. I didn't know that he was filming until half-way thru the QSO ! (eek)

John /NT9L posted the video on YouTube in 2011 after our R/V trip to Panama City Beach & the Naval Air Station museum in Pensacola, Fla. -

Tonight (12/12/2019) @ 1700Z, the YouTube video achieved a viewership of over 1,000,000 views (1 Million views) - & it's STILL growing @ a rate of 400 views per-hour !!

I'm just pleasantly surprised that I've been able to expose hundreds of thousands/millions of viewers to Morse code/CW

ya just never know who's listening...

77 (Long Live CW) es 72/73

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    W1BR, K9CPO, WA7PRC and 12 others like this.
  2. AA8NN

AA8NN Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! That's you! I watched that video years ago and was inspired while I was learning cw. Thanks to you and your friend.

3. WB4BIN

WB4BIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video! I've seen it a couple of times, and love the way you are able to be so relaxed while carrying on a CW conversation. Despite my efforts, I'm not sure I'll ever make it to that point. BTW, my background is also from the the VAQ community. Fly Navy! :D

W5BIB likes this.
  4. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I too ironically enough was one of those 1 million views when I did a curiosity search of Morse code on Youtube awhile back. I too was amazed on how fast and casually you were sending while also appearing to be reading the newspaper or something. :D

No idea you were active on the Zed or for that matter who you were. Nice to be able to know more about you now. Based on your QRZ bio it looks like you have lived a very interesting life for sure!

Thanks for posting and from one veteran to another 73 all the best OM!

-Tony

W5BIB likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Wow! Seen that video a number of times - never knew it was you, Steve!

Dave
    W7UUU

6. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

THREE CHEERS FOR AN OLE NAVY CW RASCAL.
    Hats_off[1].gif

congratulations_fireworks_1_[1].gif

BRAVO marching_band_4_th_july[1].gif

GREAT JOB AT BLASTING THE BRASS.

K5VZD and W5BIB like this.
  7. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N2IW

N2IW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've watched this video a few times, and always admire your relaxation while sending! I hope one day I can be half as relaxed as you were.

9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

M6GYU and K1LKP like this.
  10. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI STEVE,

THANK YOU FOR SHARING DAVE PERRY'S LOGBOOK WITH YOUR QRZ FRIENDS.

I HAVE PLACED YOUR EXCELLENT VIDEO ON MY QRZ PAGE..........

ITS UNDER THE "MORSE CODE" SECTION.

w5bib video.jpg
    ======.=================== reindeer-santa-dancing-1.gif
    ============ happy-new-year-colorful-animation.gif

M6GYU, W5BIB and KE0GXN like this.