ad: elecraft

Morse Code Chatroom: morsecode.me

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N1BCG, Aug 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Of all things...

I received a video from a young amateur showing him involved in a "QSO" with others on morsecode.me, a site with various chatrooms where you can only communicate in Morse Code. I had to watch the short clip a few times to grasp what was going on, but it sounded like a DXpedition pileup, yet it was a bunch of anonymous participants (you're assigned a random ID when you arrive) sending Morse Code by tapping on the . key or clicking on a link:

System: Welcome, YY90.
    System: Use mouse on [key] below, or keyboard period key to transmit.
    System: YY90 joined channel 1.
    System: 5 morsers online.
    System: ZRC3 is currently keying...

A guide on the right side of the screen shows users the alphabet and corresponding Morse characters. I dislike texting immensely and yet millions are fine with tapping on tiny keyboards. So why not this?

True, this technically isn't amateur radio, BUT I'm fascinated by how this concept has drawn the attention of those who I presume are non-amateurs. "You gotta get on this!" he urged, so I checked it out. There are six chatrooms (the first is the default and by far the noisiest) plus three "receive only" news feeds.

It's quite clunky to use; I was unable to change chatrooms without copying the URL in a new browser window and closing the old one. That, and having to tap . or use a mouse to key. Eeech. I'm considering adding a jack on my keyboard for a straight key.

The site was built by Burak Kanber who apparently has a love for Morse Code, and while it's been around for years, it's a quirky take on the oldest mode of electric communication that deserves a look.

Anyone else seen this?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of folks on this who don't know Morse at all and are just playing around.

It has potential, I suppose, but it is more amusing than practical.

3. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

What a thrill!

4. VK2KWY

VK2KWY Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it has real promise. A place where anyone can connect in an have a morse QSO - yes, it's a bit like the Wild West at present, but I understand Burak is developing an app which may require some form of authentication and perhaps provide some level of guidance on acceptable conduct, etc. Anyway, I'm watching and waiting.... certainly beats listening to 40 metres when the band is closed!

5. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I go there maybe once a month or so. It is typically just people sending random stuff, but it is hard to tell because even when I send 'real' stuff it comes across random stuff. :)

6. DL4QB

DL4QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice :) Try it!

7. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It sucks on a ipad lol

8. N0NC

N0NC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, tried it using the mouse button, came out pretty much gibberish.
    N0NC

9. G4RUE

G4RUE Ham Member QRZ Page

Would be better if ham calls only and free and part with our for learning. You can use you Morse key use a mouse as interface.

10. AG4XF

AG4XF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello, Hope to see more on this page. Re-learning code again.