ad: portazero-1

Morning QRP Friends!

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KD5TTZ, May 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Tri-Mag mount, a Wolf River coil, some Hustler mast sections, and a long MFJ whip?

Although you may need a crowbar to get the mag mount off the deck! :eek:

KK5R likes this.
  2. KD5TTZ

KD5TTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So a magmount wont work in the center of the 40x40 helipad? Dang, I was hoping this would my answer...

No, I haven't tried loading up the helipad. lol Im afraid the entire facility, being an all metal structure wouldn't be a good idea.....

3. AD0XM

AD0XM Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks to me like you might need a fishing pole spooled with small gauge wire. Certainly, you can't hang wires off the rig, but you may be able to fish?

Fish for QSOs. Just a thought.

Best of luck and I miss some seafood dinners down in Lake Charles!

73 - Scott - AD0XM

KC8VWM likes this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

This was a fairly active thread for a spell with lots of suggestions/ideas. And I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not the only one who clicked "Watch Thread."

Sure would be nice (even courteous) if the OP would be so kind as to provide an update.

72/73,
    Jeff WN1MB
    Winsted CT
    http://alienjeff.net

5. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd suggest a Hustler, Butternut or the like that can be tilted out of the way/ stored away and yet deployed easily. Worked against the structure, the VSWR may be hard to set but it ought to play very well over the salt water.
    Rob

6. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

The Hustler resonator is a very hefty unit with a good reputation. You'll need an element that extends upward from the top of the coil a few feet and this is adjusted for tuning to the operating frequency. The usable frequency without retuning may only be a few KHz but that's not a great issue once you find a good/popular frequency.

I'm thinking that some QRP club would love to provide you with the resonator and the element going upward but you will also need to get a mounting extension from the antenna mount to the resonator. They are typically somewhere around 4-ft long. This places the resonator somewhere near the center of the antenna which is more efficient for this kind of antenna.

As for a Magnet Mount, you'll need a very strong mount because that antenna presents a lot of wind load. Get a strong one with at least three 6-in magnets, maybe concoct one with four magnest to make sue the antenna is not blown over with a stiff gust.

There are several sources for such antenna systems. You can also abbreviate this to getting a mobile antenna from some supplier. However, be sure the antenna for that frequency is wound with copper wire and not aluminum because if the wire breaks, it's relatively easy to repair one made with copper wire since it can be soldered easily while the aluminum wire takes special techniques that can be eliminated by using copper wire.

Here is one antenna that may work for you and uses copper wire:
    75 METER MOBILE ANT 3/8 X 24 THD BLACK WHF-75 3.5 MHZ MOBILE 75m 80m ANTENNA
    http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1140&products_id=34885

As for the magnet mount, this may be the ticket:
    TRIMAG MOUNT 3/8 X 24 TYPE GL-300T MAGNET ANTENNA MOUNT
    http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2000&products_id=39588

Be aware that if the mag mount does not have coax from the 3/8-24 mount that can run to your rig, you may have to provide it. This should only require the coax have a couple of lugs to attach to the mount. If the rig is far away from the antenna, you will also need more coax and a PL-258 connector (UHF "Barrel") for extending the coax length.

Note that I have no connection or interest in R & L Electronics but have found them very responsive...

Bob — KK5R

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  7. KD5TTZ

KD5TTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Morning Jeff,
    It is the most busy time of the summer here offshore, so I haven't been able to try anything as of yet.
    When I do, I will be sure and let the gang know what I was able to do and the results.
    Until then, I am still reading and watching..
    Thanks to all who have replied.

Kyp - KD5TTZ

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Kyp!

Glad you decided to pipe it! Also glad to hear it's just job related busy time and not having fallen off the side of the (oil) rig that has prevented you from experimenting. ;)

Looking forward to hearing any news once things settle down there. Hopefully it will be on-the-air success with one or more of the suggestions here.

Until then, very 73,

Jeff WN1MB
    Winsted CT
    http://alienjeff.net