Morning QRP Friends!

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KD5TTZ, May 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KD5TTZ

KD5TTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Morning All,
    I just realized that QRZ had created a QRP section, way to go QRZ!

So I work in the Gulf and can operate from only one location, the helipad. It's a 40 x 40 iron plate.
    I am looking for ideas for an 80 meter antenna. I cannot use a wire hanging off the side, I was told no.

I am running the KX3 and a homebrew buddipole

Any ideas?

KD5TTz

[​IMG]

2. KC8YLT

KC8YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if a loop antenna would do you any good? Just a thought.

KK5R likes this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Wrap a couple of 65' lengths of wire extended from the perimeter of the plate to form a dipole of sorts. It'll work.

72/73, Jeff WN1MB
    Winsted CT
    http://alienjeff.net

4. KD5TTZ

My only worry with a loop antenna is the 3 940 KW generators running 24 hours a day.
    I have never used a loop so I wonder how bad the noise level will be.
    Thanks
    KD5TTZ

5. KD5TTZ

I cannot hang any wires, I was told no...

6. WN1MB

My warped mind considers the proposed perimeter wire to be "suspended" or "horizontally extended from" - not dangling or "hanging off the side." Drifting into the seas of silly semantics here...

How about stringing some wire under the stairway that goes up to the helipad? Does the KX-3 have an ATU? 120' of cleverly disguised wire fed against the ground that is the superstructure would make for a nice EFHW on 80m.

Yes, I'm big on wire and very much allergic to aluminun - at least in the proposed environment.

72/73, Jeff WN1MB
    Winsted CT
    http://alienjeff.net

KA2CZU likes this.
  7. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

if you can fashion some standup poles, the wire could be suspended over the deck, not hung down. So, if you have permission to be on the deck, can't see any reason why you couldn't have the two dipole ends around the *top* of the deck as well, portable fashion.

8. KD5TTZ

I would have to us tripods to hold the wire up above the helipad, there is no place to attach anything up there.
    Just have to be sure it will fit on the helicopter, I am limited for room...

Your guys thoughts of a vertical homebrew 80 meter buddipole? coil and whip thing...

9. WN1MB

Helipad would be an awesome ground plane. Assuming the pad is steel/iron, how about a simple mobile mag mount and an inexpensive 80 meter mobile whip?

KK5R likes this.
  10. KD5TTZ

I've never seen a an 80 meter mobile whip. I'm going to google that...
    Yea, the helipad is all steel and a magmount will fit awesomely up there in the center.

KA0HCP likes this.