More QRP ramblings

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0XAS, Oct 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0XAS

N0XAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Orv, I thought you always said life's too short for QRP --- you get an extension all of a sudden?  [​IMG]

Dale

(spooky little voices: "Join us...  join us...")

2. WB0WAO

WB0WAO Ham Member QRZ Page

We don't care if you are sending 5wpm or 25wpm, jump in and have some fun. 99.99% of us will gladly QRS for ya. I went from around 7wpm to 15wpm (18wpm on a good day) in just about a month. You will be surprised how quickly your speed will increase. Look forwards to hearing your call on the bands!!!

3. NC7K

NC7K Ham Member QRZ Page

It sure is nice to see all the QRP interest. My favorite thing to do....and if ya want to try something thats a real blast, try it on 30 meters!!! There is way way less QRM on 30 and since power is limited on this band, there is more chance of HEARING the other QRPers so you can shoot for those miles-per-milliwatt awards.
    I find 10.107 to 10.115 to be the best hunting ground.

4. mackinac

mackinac Banned

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K6UEY @ Oct. 21 2002,13:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now I understand the challenge has been removed by increasing the power limit of QRP to as much as 5 watts. Running this amount of power contacts should be pretty easy to get,so my question is when was the limit raised, and why was the challenge downgraded ??[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Your memory does not correlate with mine. As I recall QRP was anything under 100 watts, which is QRP only relative to the legal limit kilowatt. Not much of a challenge there and as I recall there wasn't much interest in being a QRPer.

Why or when someone lower it to 5 watts, a much more interesting power level, I don't know.

[... time passes while I do some web browsing...]

Not wanting to entirely trust my memory I do a little web surfing and find this quote: &quot;I joined the QRP Amateur Radio Club in 1963 who's credo was to run less than 100 watts. In an era of California Kilowatts and big amplifiers this was QRP!&quot; at WB6FZH's web page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.