More QRP ramblings

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0XAS, Oct 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0XAS

N0XAS Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

I just had to crow a little.  Just a little.  I'd left the rig on with the headphones plugged in and as I was working on the computer I could hear CW from across the room.  Heard one op say his name was Dale, same as mine, so I wandered over to see if I scould score a 2xQRP and 2xDale QSO.  By the time I got there he was gone (didn't get his call), but a few minutes later while I was lokoing for a clear spot to call CQ I heard this watery-sounding CQ from UA0AZ.  Russia!! No way in hell he'd hear me, but once the dogpile quieted down I threw out my call.

He answered.  He can send faster than I can copy, but I got enough of it, sent him his RST and my QTH and name, we exchanged 73's and I repeated my call two more times until he got the "N" and "X".  By that time I was so wound up I could hardly send straight.

I now have my first QRP DX, and my first Russian QSO - I know, big deal, but it sure is to me.  This with all of 5W from a third-hand, slightly beat-up OHR-400, a well-used MFJ tuner pushing about 80' of Radio Shack TV twinlead (the cheap stuff) flopped over pipes and run alongside ductwork to the attic, where it feeds roughly 66' of 12 ga. stranded wire stapled, folded and tossed in the attic the best I could do, no idea where it resonates.  Did I mention nothing is grounded worth mentioning?  

Life's too short for QRP -- yeah, right, keep telling yourself that!   [​IMG]   I'll remember this QSO a LONG time.

Dale - N0XAS

2. AE4FA

AE4FA Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen! I still do double back flips for every QRP DX QSO - and I've been dabbling with it for about 5 years.

The only thing is, you get to thinking, "Well, if I can do that with 5 watts . . ." That's how QRPp got started. Miles per milliwatt is a real blast!

73, Bob

3. N0XU

N0XU Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ae4fa @ Oct. 15 2002,20:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">&lt;snip&gt; Miles per milliwatt is a real blast! &lt;snip&gt;[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What's the current record, anyway?

4. wb6bcn

wb6bcn Ham Member QRZ Page

I cheat: Sometomes I do real QRP or QRPP, but most of the time I do QRP + 6db (20 watts). When I had my novice call,  I had two transmitters. A HEathkit DX-100, a 100 watt CW and AM unit. I had no microphone since I couldn't operate voice.  My other transmitter was a 3/4 transistor unit.  I only used the DX-100 when I wasn't able to make contacts on the 3/4 watt. The DX-100 was too much of a pain to tune.  I was always worried about cooking the 6146 finals. I got many contacts on that 3/4 watter, and I didn't have to worry about damage to it. It had a 15 watt transistor in the output stage, and only enough drive to put out maybe 800 MW.  My best, distance was a UA9 from Russia.
    When the UA9 came back to me It was like I was using my left foot to send. It was my first, and only contact in the area of Europe.  
    Japan, Hawaii, anywhere in the pacific area,  no problem.  Western Asia and any part of Europe from Southern California is very difficult.  With patience and a modorate antenna you can work the world with a watt.  With good conditions, and good antennae you maybe able to do it with 100 MW or less.  I don't think too many people can keep their composure the first time they get 5,000 or more with a watt or less.  GO GO QRP:
    Right now : am trying to see if I can get 5,000 or more on 40 meters with 1 watt SSB. So far 3500 m

iles is the best I have done.  Most of the time, i find I need 10 watts to make the East Coast.  I have been making contacts in Hawaii,  Minnesota,  Ohio and other areas about the same distance on 5 watts. Once I make contacts, even on full power, 20 watts, If I get a good signal report I see how low I can go.  Sometimes I can go to 1 watt. Once I get an antenna up for 10 and 15 I am going to see how good I can go there.  15 is where I got most of my good low power contacts back in the late 60's and early 70's.

5. N0XAS

Well, I just made my first contact with a Kenwood TS-930S/AT I picked up yesterday at a hamfest.  What a super nice rig!  Receiver just blows everything else I've owned out of the water.  I was very happy to see it will crank down to QRPp levels, too.  Only thing I didn't count on was the lack of a built-in keyer, so I guess I'm going to have to build one now.  No biggie, at least it will work the way *I* want it to!  The factory built-in keyers usually kind of ... well, they bite.

Odd, the guys I bought this from (cheap) said it didn't transmit -- and it doesn't, in USB or LSB mode! Guess he never tried a key...  (big grin)

Dale

6. AE4FA

RE: Miles per Milliwatt record

Sorry for the long wait - my XYL dragged me to Myrtle Beach for a long weekend. Poor me!

I don't have a clue what the record is, but N4EO in TN reports a QSO with ZL4IE in New Zealand using 500mW - a distance of 8,485 miles. That works out to 16.97 miles per milliwatt!

I just finished building a RockMite (500mW xcvr w/ built-in keyer)from Small Wonder Labs &amp; took it for the afore mentioned weekend. Worked 15 stations in 8 states over the course of just a few hours using a piece of 24 guage speaker wire as a stealth sloper off the balcony.

Talk about thrilled!

73, Bob

7. VA7KBH

VA7KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a question for you all:

Is most QRP and QRPp made as CW? I'd love to try it but the fastest I've been able to reliably send is 5WPM. I've not yet got my HF ticket, the test's on Halloween and when I get it I want to try some QRP.
    But I still like the idea of voice HF.

So, do most QRP'ers try voice or CW?

VA7KBH

8. N0XAS

CW, I think, but jump on in. 5WPM is just fine, and your speed will increase anyway. I know I'll definitely QRS for ya.

Dale

9. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Since this topic appears to be dedicated to QRP maybe some one here can answer a question I have had for some time. When I first heard about QRP some 30 or 40 years ago the power limit was 1 watt and below. Having some experience on the low bands ( HF ) this seemed like and interesting but not too difficult challenge, with a proper antenna the world was at your finger tips . Although I got off on a tangent with other Modes of Ham Radio it was always my intent to return. Now I understand the challenge has been removed by increasing the power limit of QRP to as much as 5 watts. Running this amount of power contacts should be pretty easy to get,so my question is when was the limit raised, and why was the challenge downgraded ??
    TNX fr yr comments,     73,   ORV

10. AE4FA

Hi, Orv

Well, I don't know the answers to your questions. Lexx than 1 watt is now referred to as QRPp.

There's still lots of fun to be had, whatever the terminology might be . . .

Come on and join the milliwatt crowd (again). I just know you're gonna love it. A lot of guys make contact with, say 500 mW or so, then just keep cranking the power down. It's sort of like limbo - &quot;how low can you go?&quot;

Hope to work you.

73, Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.