More awards to encourage new(ish) hams?

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by 2E0HVK, Nov 17, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was literally going to suggest the same thing. Without even intending to do so I've managed two hunter-oriented awards. I can take my KX2 outdoors, toss a wire antenna up into a tree, get on 40m, and knock out a few contacts within 15-20 minutes.

Chris

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And you get an award for that?

3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not for the mere act of setting up an impromptu station, but for hunting parks in increments of 10. Some of the more advanced ones could be challenging to earn, but there's a bunch that don't require much effort at all.
    POTA Awards - POTA (parksontheair.com)

I think a foot or bike based RADAR award could be a fun challenge though.

Chris

4. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Brazil... Award would be my wife being relieved if I get back home safe, unharmed, unrobbed.
    I think radio-amateur should be Brazilians fav hobby, just because you don't have to get outside... ooooops forget it... paying near 100% taxes on imported goods/freight, lowest R$ exchange rate ever. Why is it 90% licensees (remember there are 40k licensees in Brazil) are never on the air, just wondering...

5. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

We don't all agree. When my mother baked a batch of Toll House cookies, she'd let me look over the two dozen steaming delights and choose the one I wanted. Some showed more chocolate morsels, some were larger, and some were crispier than others. They weren't all alike! We are not cookies, and there is variety everywhere we look in life; particularly in human society. Not everyone seeks a gold star for schoolwork well done!

When I first discovered ham radio, I listened on-air a lot; I mean many hours each week. I listened for specific things they did for fun. Their descriptions of activities showed they were motivated by one facet of the hobby or another, and often they talked about many features of the hobby. I read in magazines and books about what other hams did. Once licensed and on-the-air, I'd ask questions of new ops I met on-air about how they used their time. For this op, finding encouragement is as near as my eyes and ears.

A question to new digital-modes-only hams: How do you learn with FT-8 contacts how others have fun with ham radio? How do you learn about their other hobbies and activities, about their jobs, their vacation plans, families, or about their home towns?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    PU2OZT likes this.
  6. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

98 days into HF/FT-8, mostly digital... I'll take a crack at this and hopefully live to regret it.

Answer 1: I don't. I'm deprived of that degree of contact when using FT-8. I take FT-8 for what it is, a minor technical challenge to start that can grow to a major one if I let it. It's not social.

Answer 1a: Occasionally that's worth it, just to avoid the politics.

Answer 2: I can't. The hams I want to talk to the most all live on the other side of the globe. My rig is quite minimal, and it's going to be a while before I can afford a loud setup. How long were you in the hobby before you decided you had enough power?(or enough antenna) Guessing more than 98 days.

Answer 3: I play it close. I spend between 10 and 30 minutes every morning talking to a local ham group on 2m. I like this both for local neighborhood scuttlebutt and learning cool ham stuff. Some oldtimers and just plain smart guys get on at random, and I genuinely like picking that up. I have no problem taking my fill of culture, character and personal history there and then making less colorful contacts when I get on HF. Plus with the local group I get to listen in FM instead of SSB, and minute for minute that's a better way to use what's left of my hearing.

Answer 4: What do you think this is, right here in the QRZ forum? I've seen a number of call matches from my FT8 logbook to users on this board. This is where I'm learning about your other hobbies, job, vacation etc in between the contacts on the air.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  7. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally respect your viewpoints!

As to Answer 4: Ham radio captured my attention solely because I could listen and talk on the air. Although I like QRZ forum, it isn't radio.
    As to Answer 2 ("How long were you in the hobby...……….. ?"): I never felt a need for more power, except for a few weeks on 80 meters in 1983-84.

Some of my best ham radio memories were hour-long (a few 2+ hour long) chats with friends in Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Japan, and the U.S.A.; accomplished without an amplifier. I don't hold a candle to your patience with FT8. 73

8. KC3PBI

And I respect yours.

No, it's radio community. Would you shun local ham meetings or social gatherings because they aren't conducted over the air? Hams have used postcards, contests, buffet dinners, kids campouts and all kinds of other things to enrich the social quotient in the hobby. A website full of "personality blogs" is a similar enrichment, from my point of view. The cost of viewing a website is insignificant. You can see pictures of my shack and nice long descriptions of how I use the hobby. The bandwidth is high and cheap and you can read it anytime, not just when I'm on to present it.

I contact you on FT8, great. Now I know you exist, where in the world you are, and how to look up more. I find your page or QSL policy- an opportunity to learn more. Maybe I find something on your page that says "...hey and if you really want a laugh find me on 14.3xx on Thursdays after noon UTC...."

Backing out to look at the bigger picture: You've specifically identified that you want to listen and talk. I want to communicate. My vision of communication certainly involves some time holding a microphone, but that's just a small slice of the pie I see.

And just a bit of personal history: For about 35 years now I have enjoyed keyboard-to-keyboard text chats. Early on, as modulated audio over telephone lines, and then later encoded as TCP/IP across the internet. Now ham radio has given me a way to do this without any wires or routers. I love it!

Maybe I should have added sunspots to that list? While things appear to be rather promising for this cycle, the past 99 days haven't exactly been record-setters for band conditions.

PU2OZT likes this.
  9. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be very surprised if anyone in a QRZ forum isn't participating because it is community. The sharing of experiences and unending generous offers of help is heartwarming on QRZ! Real-time community activities among hams didn't begin on the web though. Sixty plus years ago frequent and numerous roundtables could be heard on HF phone frequencies. A few were long enough (hours) such that groups QSYed from one band to another as skip zones changed. Many a SWL (shortwave listener) and newbie ham benefited from those sessions, even when lacking a transmitter, since knowledge was freely shared. I call that communication. By the way, CW ops also enjoyed roundtables.

My history includes getting active on HF when the 27 MHz band (actually "27 Mc") was shared between ham operators and land-mobile-radio. This thread originated to discuss operating awards.

10. KC3PBI

That first sentence opens a new tangent, and in the second you appear to chastise me for following you into the previous tangent? Noted.

I don't think the hobby needs easier awards. 2EOHVK needs a few more buddies encouraging him and about 100% fewer passive-aggressive OMs heckling him.