ad: QSKLLC-1

More awards to encourage new(ish) hams?

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by 2E0HVK, Nov 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No you can't.

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With good effort it may be possible. good band opening like in 1983 ?

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No. Not possible.

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KC9VFO

How about 5 stations on 5 bands automated with spectacular band openings ?.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Please stop trolling. Drop it.

Thanks

Dave
    W7UUU
    QRZ Admin
    QRZ Moderator

KP4SX likes this.
  6. KC9VFO

its dropped.

W7UUU likes this.
  7. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Whats a novice station anyway? I worked the world with a HR10B, Viking Ranger and a 40M dipole. Your IC705 is a quantum leap from those
    Nothing but wire antennas here 80-10M, dipole for 6M.
    yagis for the sats (VUCC last spring).
    IC9100- only 100W here, sometimes play with qrp 2 - 10W just for fun
    Using my other callsign, just finished DXCC on FT8 (took 4months)
    All the awards on my qrz page were started since I bought the 9100 and were done when the bands were (so called) very poor
    Now since this cycle has started 17 & 15 have become very occupied
    If you are trying to get some awards, you are going to have to listen and search out areas where there is propagation
    I found 30M an interesting band that had great openings in the morning and worked many VK's, ZL', and JA's plus Europe. I use a 80M inverted vee on there.
    Also found 80 & 40 good in the mornings and around suppertime, suppose I was using grey line for most of it.
    Not living on the radio either, most operating is early morning usually a couple hours around 6am and around "feeding time" for another couple hours
    Just put up a dipole for 17M, works better than using the rigs tuner on a 20M dipole. Will be adding a 15M to it now that they are opening more.

It can be done, use all the tools you can, grey line, on line tools like dxsummit, contests bring out a pile of folks (they usually are testing their setup a day or so prior to), generally I got 3-10 new countries each contest, cw is the fastest contact mode I've ever used, try an antenna cut for a band that will give you the best yield for whatever award DX or local, you're seeking

good luck, it is possible to do. Patience, persistance, develop a good technique, remeber to have fun, it'll happen

8. MM0LQF

MM0LQF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

> e don't all have towers and beams and amplifiers, all I have is a very small garden and it's a rented house so can't put anything on the roof or walls. With my small EFHW I doubt I'm ever going to get all European DXCC's, let alone any other Masters awards so what's the point in trying?

You would be surprised. I'm rocking 10w with a dipole hanging between curtain rails in my rented flat up here in Scotland, and I picked up various awards including Grid Squared then Master of Europe, in less than a year (maybe 6 months?), using FT-8 - take a look at my page. With your situation and a Foundation licence, you should be able to do the same.

The tip for 6m/10m is Es season in the summer. I got 99 EU grids and loads of countries knocked off, in the space of a few summer months, on those bands.

9. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

If you seek tons of easy awards, Parks On The Air.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  10. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I set my own goals. I just want to hit all the grid squares where I've personally visited and spent some time before the bug clipped my wings.

I bet it will take me a while.

PM47 and KG43 will need some work.
    LN03 might be the trickiest.