More awards to encourage new(ish) hams?

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by 2E0HVK, Nov 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. 2E0HVK

2E0HVK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was looking forward to working towards awards. But once one has the 'World Friendship Award' there's a massive gap to get a masters award. It would be nice to have a half way award to encourage people. We don't all have towers and beams and amplifiers, all I have is a very small garden and it's a rented house so can't put anything on the roof or walls. With my small EFHW I doubt I'm ever going to get all European DXCC's, let alone any other Masters awards so what's the point in trying? With luck (and the new solar cycle) I might hopefully achieve the "World Continents Award" and the "Grid Squared Award" but I very much doubt any others are within reach over the next few years.

So, please consider having some awards that new(ish) hams can realistically achieve within a few months or a year. I'm sure we'd all agree that we need to encourage people to remain in the hobby?

Thanks,
    Ali.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some awards are lifelong endeavours.

KC1OCA, KK9W and WG7X like this.
  3. 2E0HVK

2E0HVK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I accept that and it's wonderful to have such awards but try telling a new ham that it'll take the rest of their lives to get an award and see what they say! Do you not accept that new hams need some encouragement and goals that are attainable in much less than a whole lifetime?

There's enough snobbery in this hobby as it is, the masters awards just a message that new hams are not valued and might as well not bother unless they are prepared to put in a lifetimes work.

For example, if the Masters awards had bronze, silver, and gold levels then it would encourage participation. Such awards as they stand just serve to alienate people starting out in this hobby. It only underlines the snobbery that infests this hobby.

And anyway, how long is a "lifetime" anyway? I'm in my mid 50's. Are you saying I might as well not bother?

Ali.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe we should have a Participation Award.

KK9W and W7UUU like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

How about the "Grid Squared" award? Just need to confirm 100 grids... that shouldn't take a lifetime

How about "US Counties" award? Just need to confirm 100 US counties.... that shouldn't take a lifetime

How about "Master of Radio Communication - Europe" Just need to confirm 66 entities in Europe... that shouldn't take a lifetime (you live there!)

How about looking at other awards groups? MANY listed here: https://www.qsl.net/va3rj/awards_dx.html

I think you just need to open your mind a little bit, spend some time searching out the MYRIAD of amateur radio awards around the world.

Or just make up your OWN!!! Why not? It's all arbitrary anyway - it's just a PDF or a piece of paper. How about setting out to work all counties in England? Or all prefixes in the UK? Or ten EU countries and then work to get 10 more as an endorsement? Then just design your own award form! Ham radio awards only mean something to YOU. No one else cares.

Challenges can come from a million places. You just need to open your mind to them

Dave
    W7UUU

N0ORQ, WG7X and K5EMG like this.
  6. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is your award. Don't spend it all at one place.

[​IMG]

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Here's a few that are SPECIFIC TO THE UK:

Dave
    W7UUU

U.K. - England:
    H.F. -
    CQ Awards Checkpoint See bottom of page
    DXCC Field Checking in the UK
    General Rules for RSGB HF Awards

BARTG Awards
    British Amateur Television Club
    • Receiving Award
    • Transmitting Award
    Burnham Beeches Radio Club
    • BBCC - Burnham Beeches Century Club
    • BBNA - Burnham Beeches Novice Award
    • BBVU - Burnham Beeches VHF/UHF Award
    C.A.S.H.O.T.A. - Castles and Stately Homes on the Air
    Commonwealth Century Club Award (CCC)
    DARC, AMRAD & RSGB 136kHz Transatlantic Challenge
    DX Listeners' Century Award (DXLCA) SWL
    IARU Region 1 Award
    RSARS - Royal Signals Amateur Radio Society
    • Any Mode Award
    • CW Award
    • Data Mode Award
    • G3SIG - RSARS British Isles Award
    • Overseas Century Award
    • QRP Award
    • RSARS WAC Award
    • RTTY/AMTOR Award
    • Special Award
    • The "Chairman's Choice" Trophy
    • The Five Fifty-Nine Trophy
    • The G4SXF Trophy
    • The "GW2OP" Trophy
    • The Le Touquet Trophy
    • The N2DAN Key Award
    • The RSARS "MOP" Award
    • The RSARS "QRP" Trophy
    • The RSARS "Yeoman" Award
    • VHF Award
    RSGB Centenary Award 2013
    The IMD Award - International Marconi Day Cornish ARC
    The Nevada Cup - RSGB LF Experimenter's Award

W.A.B. - Worked All Britian

WAC - Worked All Continents
    WITUZ - Worked ITU Zones Award
    136kHz RSGB Award

VHF/UHF/Microwaves -
    General Award Rules
    Counties List for V/U/SHF Awards
    District Codes for V/U/SHF Awards
    Africa Award UKSMG
    Asia Award UKSMG
    Counties and Countries Award (Mircrowave)
    Digital Award UKSMG
    Distance Award (Mircrowave)
    DX Countries Award
    EME Award UKSMG
    Europe Award UKSMG
    Foundation Award
    Full Moon Award UKSMG
    Intermediate Award
    New Moon Award UKSMG
    North America Award UKSMG
    Oceania Award UKSMG
    Senior & Standard Awards
    South America Award UKSMG
    Squares Award (50MHz)
    Squares Award (70MHz, 144MHz, 432MHz)
    Squares Award (Mircrowave)
    The 'Six on Six' Award by K1SIX
    2-Way Countries Award

8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Rag Chewers Club is a great "noobie" award. Also SKCC is a great program. Also our GOTA stations are doing a bang-up job. And there are countless contests every weekend...there's usually one or two I've never heard of before.

WAC is fairly easy to get with a modest station....I did that as a Novice back in 1972 or '73....of course propagation was awesome then. Certainly a lot easier than WPX!
    Eric

9. W7UUU

Rag Chewer's Club went away DECADES ago :(

I still have mine from March 17, 1974 QSO with WA7IVO, Nick Winter (now K7MO) who is still a good friend to this day

Dave
    W7UUU

WG7X likes this.
  10. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just use FT 8 , you can obtain all awards in one afternoon !

PU2OZT likes this.