More AM broadcast stations to go dark in Europe.

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K4KYV, Jan 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Truly not local programming, but I get a local feel from 2 of my favorites: bluegrass junction out of Nashville, and mad dog radio, with Chris “Mad Dog” Russo having been local in the NYC metro area for 20+ years on WFAN (sports). They are both, of course, national but the host and/or subject material give it that local feel, at least “somewhat”.

One note on fidelity, most listeners of music on any media cannot consciously discern the difference of mp3, sub-mp3 nor any other “fidelity” issues.

Sorry for the non-AM digression... carry on (or is that “carrier on”) :D

2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the problem. That thing about a subscription is a deal breaker and show stopper for me and millions of other listeners.

The radio and TV business model found in North America by which the programming and transmission is entirely funded by advertising and is completely free for viewers and listeners is probably the most ingenious idea and best consumer deal ever invented. You make a one time purchase of equipment, pay pennies a day for electricity, and sports, news, music, weather--a whole smorgasbord of content is delivered to you entirely free. You only have to hear some commercial announcements which might even be of interest depending on your needs. Oh, but these horrible commercials! How torturous to have to listen to them! End of the world! I'd rather let Sirius drain my bank account than suffer! Oh the humanity! Suckers are certainly all over the place aren't they.

AD5HR likes this.
  3. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sirius XM used to offer a premium service that had a higher bit rate with much improved audio. I don’t know if they still offer this.

4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Well designed commercials are not horrible to listen to or watch, and may be entertaining to boot. Poorly designed spots are the ones that are annoying to listeners and grate on your nerves. There are too many of the latter and not enough of the former.

Another problem, which some broadcasters acknowledge in editorials in rags like Radio World, is that the spot load is often past the point of diminishing return.

I occasionally listen to WSM in Nashville. They even still do some spots live, like in the golden days. Most if not all the commercials on Grand Ol' Opry are read live on stage before the audience. They make up part of the show. But when I get slammed with 10 obnoxious canned spots in a row on radio or TV, I usually switch stations or just turn the damned thing off.

Many TV commercials seem designed to be annoying. They often compress the audio so that the sound comes through about 10 dB louder than the program material. It's the audio on TV commercials that makes them so annoying. I have found that actually I pay more attention to a TV commercial when the sound is muted and just watch the video. I'd bet that "silent" commercials, highlighted with visual text and maybe with a little music in the background like the old silent films, would generate more sales in the long run than the usual ones with screaming audio.

Most of my broadcast listening and watching is on the non-commercial channels. NPR, PBS and the local independent university stations. Although the programming is free, I usually send them a little cash during their beg-a-thons, since I know they have to get some revenue from somewhere to stay on the air.

Another thing that keeps me away from the commercial stations, however, is not so much the spots, but the lack of content that would make them worth my attention.

N0TZU likes this.