More AM broadcast stations to go dark in Europe.

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K4KYV, Jan 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a draconian idea for the F.C.C. (as if they need another)...

Pull the license from stations that rank below a certain rating point for more than two books in a row. No ratings = no listeners = not operating in the public interest.

Let the purge begin!

I can sense the station owner Torch and Pitchfork Brigade gearing up

2. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Be sure to wear an easily seen identification button at NAB.

N1BCG likes this.
  3. W7TFO

W7TFO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Be sure to wear an easily seen identification button at NAB.

Shaped like a bullseye target...

73DG

N1BCG and W2VW like this.
  4. W7KNX

W7KNX Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the "moronic" programs on AM talk radio have vastly larger audiences than anything on prime time television news, broadcast or cable. What does that tell you?

Jeff W7KNX

KK4NSF likes this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There are a lot of morons with radios?:p

But seriously, I'm not sure that audience comparison is accurate.

The data I was able to quickly find for year end 2019 (at Variety) online shows that TV broadcast networks have about 20 million viewers in prime time per night, not including the large number of streaming viewers now. Cable networks have about the same if you only sum the top 20 networks, 50 million if you sum all of them. So that's 40 to 90 million per night for TV combined.

The highest rated radio talk shows (Limbaugh or Hannity) are in the 15 million listeners per week range.

Do you have other data?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  6. W7KNX

I was told Limbaugh has 25 to 30 million listeners however I have no way of knowing. Also you are comparing a single talk radio program to the combined audience of multiple television programs. Why is that?

7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I saw some figures like that but they were on his website.

The best independent figures I found were from Talkers Magazine, Arbitron and summarized a few years ago in Wikipedia, but I also found corroboration for last year at about the same levels, don’t remember the source of that. BTW it’s hard to find the best detailed data because Arbitron, Nielsen, etc get paid a lot for that information and it isn’t just hanging out on the web, except when someone who did pay for it publishes some of it.

How a listener is counted, and a viewer is counted, I don’t know for sure. If I turn on my car AM radio for 10 minutes on one day to hear about traffic, does that count in the weekly total? If I switch TV channels from broadcast to cable during the night is that counted once in each category? So, yeah, these numbers are very approximate and just give a rough idea.

As for the program vs. total comparison, I was trying to compare in the way you suggested, maybe I made too much of the way you phrased it. So, looking at totals, Nielsen says total AM audience is around 60 million per week, so compare to the 40 - 90 million TV viewers per night, not counting streaming.

8. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

The bottom line is which shows make the most money.

Radio cost a lot less than television to produce.

Worse than any talking head broadcasters are the wannabee amateurs who believe everything they hear from their trusted sources and spend all night regurgitating it on 75 meters.

WA5VGO and N0TZU like this.
  9. W7KNX

Interesting numbers. I am skeptical of just about everything these days. I haven't watched television in many years but I do listen to talk radio regularly. However I assume everything I hear or see in any media is possibly false or misleading. I also find it fascinating to hear other peoples opinions and views but they don't shape mine. Having grown up spending a lot of time listening to AM radio it's difficult to watch it in decline.

N0TZU likes this.
  10. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Excitement sells, and raw news may not be exciting, so whatever generates revenue...