more about QRP / Backpack portable Random Wires

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KK4NSF, Dec 14, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The thing is , John , that he LEARNED something in the process ...

Good for him !

JB

3. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Rather, I think this has been an exercize to demonstrate a "simple" wire antenna, only.

I know I appreciate it.

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

maybe if you'd taken the time to use the right lengths, you'd have had better luck with them. Using your system, you either have to carry and string up a different wire for each band, and/or always have a poorly matched system on all but your primary band. No thanks. I'll stick with my single wire with a counterpoise layed on the ground.... and my 1.2 SWR across all of my bands.

5. M3HJG

M3HJG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi been reading this with interest I am going to buy some wire for backback and portable car/park qrp and give this ago have you had much success with this anything learned that or come across that you can help or advise me 73's

6. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used a 35 ft end-fed with some success, but I think I like the SOTAbeams Bandhopper dipoles better.

The 20/40m version is 66 ft long and the 20/30/40/80m version is 132 ft long. It is definitely harder to find room to set these up than the 35 ft end-fed, but they seem to work better. I try to set the 20 ft mast up near the picnic table so the supplied 33 ft coax reaches the transceiver. (20 ft of it goes up the mast to the feed point, so that leaves only 13 ft.)

The term SOTAbeams uses is linked dipole, but I find myself thinking of the design as "alligator clip traps". ;)

In order to do the 20m - 40m band change, I have to drop the support mast (or slack the support rope) and connect the clips, but as I do this only once per outing, I don't find it much of an inconvenience.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SOTAbeams sells a linked dipole antenna kit for around $19, which is a considerable savings over the factory assembled model -

https://www.sotabeams.co.uk/linked-dipole-portable-hf-antenna-kit/

and there is a nifty calculator for determining the lengths of the wires -

https://www.sotamaps.org/extras

In addition to winding the balun and making all the connections, you need to find a 20 ft telescopic mast, but these can be found on eBay for $25 or so in fiberglass. The carbon-fiber ones can get expensive. And for the sites which have convenient trees, you can leave the mast at home.

8. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

i LIKE this whole thread!