Moose Attacks Parked Car

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by N0TZU, Sep 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K0UO likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Farmers Insurance - " “We know a thing or two, because we've seen a thing or two.”

K0UO, K6LPM, KA0USE and 3 others like this.
  3. VK5KKS

VK5KKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think it was attacking that car. It was either vandalizing it for the heck of it or maybe sharpening its antlers. We don't have moose in Australia, but drop bears can be a nuisance.

4. N0TZU

Well we don’t have anything like the dreaded drop bear here, but we do have the amazing kanga-sheep. They are a cross between kangaroos and big horn sheep, and they hop up and down the largest mountains with ease. :D

Moose are huge, unpredictable, often ill-tempered, and can move much faster than a human. Plus it’s the rutting season now which makes it worse. The witness was wise not to escalate the encounter.

PU2OZT likes this.
  5. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Guy I used to work with used to tell a story about driving a big ol’ military truck in a USAF convoy going from Maine to Labrador. His truck hit a moose on the road. Moose got up, shook his antlers, and attacked the truck. Punctured the radiator. I imagine the towing bill was substantial.

6. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Definitely a "rut-rub".

When the Whitetail deer rut in New England, they'll entirely skin the bark off a small tree - usually from ground level to 5-6 feet up.

I think they're just rubbing the felt off their antlers - getting ready for bigger battles I suppose.

K8PG and KA0HCP like this.
  7. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

C.By moose.jpg
    ---Layne AE1N

WA1GXC, N1VAU, N0TZU and 3 others like this.
  8. N0TZU

They do rub as you point out, but in this case there was no velvet, the antlers looked dry and it’s too late in the season. The bull looks young, so maybe he was taking out frustrations at being thwarted at mating by the older bulls!

W7UUU likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He liked the curves on that little German moosette.

WS9K, W7UUU, AD5HR and 2 others like this.
  10. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Havin' been chased by a cow moose once in my younger years, they're no different than the velociraptor from Jurassic Park IMO.

KA0USE, AA5BK, N0TZU and 2 others like this.