ad: w5yi

Monitoring and emergency transmission on forbidden frequencies

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KM6UTP, Jun 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF7IN

    AF7IN Ham Member QRZ Page

    I can't even fathom a situation where our local LE / fire would ignore a call for emergency assistance because they didn't want to go trekking. That's kinda, like, their job, man.

    Guess I never knew how good we had it here :D
  2. WJ4U

    WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

    OP has not been active on the forum for several months, perhaps due to the responses to this thread.

    Somehow a 75 year old four-wheeling in the wilderness all alone intrigues me. Hopefully I'm up for the adventure when I grow up.
    AF7IN likes this.
  3. N7WR

    N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    As a GENERAL rule USFS uses conventional (non trunked, non digital) VHF frequencies. As a practical matter in many places they actually operate on local (county sheriff for example) public safety frequencies and USFS pays local (county) dispatch centers to provide communications to/from USFS LEO units. USFS fire operations are generally different from law operations as they are dispatched by (in CA and OR at least) interagency (USFS, BLM, State, and Local) fire dispatch centers. You would have to know the specific USFS frequencies in use in the area you will be traveling/camping in. During non fire season periods the interagency dispatch centers are either shut down or only operate during day time hours. During non staffed hours the local (county) dispatch center handles what little USFS traffic there is and does so on county frequencies. My recommendation? use SPOT or another locate device which is capable of sending not only your GPS location but other brief text type messages as to the nature of your emergency. Much more reliable than 2 way radio commns in mountainous areas--that is why many LEOs and SAR Teams which work in such terrain carry them.

    I ride my horse in the backcounty (Ochoco National Forest) and always have my 2 meter HT with me as well as a cell phone. The cell phone has coverage in a portion of the areas I ride. There are enough high altitude 2 meter repeaters that coverage in my riding areas is 100%. My son, on the other hand, rides in the San Juan Mountains of Southern Colorado. He is also a ham. Zero cell coverage where he rides and very, very limited ham repeater coverage. So he also carries a SPOT device. He is on the local Sheriff's SAR Team and even their SAR system radios do not cover most of the area where he rides.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  4. N5SMO

    N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    A better investment than a radio might be one of the CPU controlled portable defribrillators.
  5. WA9SVD

    WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

    H0w does that help a broken leg?:confused: (To get slightly off topic.):(
    K3XR likes this.
  6. WJ4U

    WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

    He’s a ham, not an actor. ;)
  7. WA8NVW

    WA8NVW Ham Member QRZ Page

    Best not to be using amateur radio equipment for the situation you describe.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  8. K0UO

    K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    They may have scrambled systems
  9. WA9SVD

    WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

    If you TRULY want or need emergency service when in the boonies, with no cell or repeaters available, you NEED a sat phone. Don't rely on the Forest Service to come to your rescue; that's an excuse or rationalization, NOT a viable reason. If your life depends upon it, don't rely upon the VERY limited range of even a modified amateur H-T.
  10. WJ4U

    WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

    KM6UTP was last seen (on QRZ): Sep 9, 2018

Share This Page