ad: vanity

Monitoring and emergency transmission on forbidden frequencies

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KM6UTP, Jun 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

The real problem will be that no sheriff in America has the guts to respond to such a call

Emergency or not.

I bycicle the Great Allegheny passage and C&O canal trail.

I have come across injured cyclists 4 times now on the trail

One broken hip
    One broken arm
    One concussion
    And a blue force trama From a hundred foot tumble.

In all 4 cases 911 did not know how to send help,

Untill I demanded the name of the dispatcher, and the informed them if they were unable or uwilling to help to verbalize same for benifit of the voice recorders.

In the grand Tetons I found a suicide, the sheriff was afraid to meet me.

Carrying a radio in the hope these cowards are coming for you when you call?

Get real

Rege

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3V:

Why would any law enforcement, public safety officer, etc., be afraid to respond to such a call? May be cautious for any number of reasons and just why wouldn't a 911 dispatcher refuse to send aid?

Now, using a transmitter, on a public safety frequency, without authorization is a pretty "iffy" situation. However, if one identifies themselves that would give credence and give the impression that the call is legitimate. Now, if the person does not identify themselves, then I can see why the agency might not respond.

I have been in a position where I was definitely authorized to use various public safety, and other local and state government, frequencies and did have certificated equipment in my vehicle. Although I did not have a tactical number, I never had any problems when using those frequencies. Maybe a difference in the area with those in your area being a lot more afraid of having problems.

Glen, K9STH

3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

True, and that's a good clarification. Some people seem to get excited by the word "emergency" and think it allows them to do anything for any reason. To take the example to an absurd extreme, if the governor declares a state of emergency in your county because some storms caused damage, that does NOT give you free rein to call rare DX on the extra portion of the band for the sole purpose of gaining DXCC credits if you're not otherwise entitled to use that frequency.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Goodness.... it's so SUPER DUPER DUPER EASY to get a Technician license!!! A few hours of simple memorization and you're done.

Super simple. Read the book Saturday, read the book Sunday, (only reading the "correct" answers of course!), then take the test Monday = pass

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

You might notice the word "emergency" is specifically omitted from the rule because one person's inconvenience, is another person's "emergency" scenario.

...This is correct !

6. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

After leaving the public safety world for the private sector, I was often amused at what people would consider to be an emergency.

I was counselled that it wasn't acceptable to inform customers that, "An emergency is a baby not breathing. Your phone system being down is more of an inconvenience."

WU8Y and K1XS like this.
  7. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Why Indeed,

I think we all know why.

Rege

8. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the exact same attitude.

A employee of the general public, upset that one of the people that pay him has called for help.

Think this fellow is going to come hiking to a set of gps coordinates in the middle of BFE cause somebody called him on the radio?

Ha ha

Rege

9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3V:

I really don't think that most of us know why a law enforcement officer, fireman, etc., would not respond especially if the person making the call properly identified themselves.

Also, what was the 911 operator's problem that he / she didn't want to send help? Yes, there have been such persons even in this area who have not send help. Those persons have been severely disciplined for doing such.

Again, it may be a regional difference, but, around here, and in most parts of the south and southwest, there are teams that will definitely respond to calls for help from remote areas. Usually, those teams are volunteer because, outside of the urban / suburban areas, fire departments, medical assistance, etc., are all manned by volunteers. Maybe the volunteer organizations are more concerned with helping people than drawing a paycheck and sitting in an air conditioned building!

Glen, K9STH

10. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

In one of the more bizarre circumstances I have experienced as a ham: I was sitting at home one evening and the phone rings. This is the exact thing I heard. "Hello. This is the 911 operator. We need help!"
    Now about this time my mind went into brainlock. I had to try and process this situation for a seemingly long period. I could not quite figure how I should or could respond.
    Finally I could only utter....."Ummm, OK?"
    It seems I have been listed on the wall at the local police/emergency dispatch as a ham to call when they needed help with interlopers on the local public safety frequencies as I had helped them in the past tracking down the miscreants.
    Well it turns out that there was local dogsled race going on and the hams were manning the checkpoints. One of the racers had gone off the trail and was injured. He had called in on his cellphone but it had gone dead. 911 was trying to get in touch with the hams at the checkpoints to send help and I was the only ham they had a contact number for. I got on the radio and passed the traffic and soon the racer was found and rescued.
    But I will never forget the time I picked up the phone and heard "This is the 911 operator. We need help!"

AD5HR and N0TZU like this.